Free Trial & Practice Exam
    BEAT THE GMAT EXCLUSIVE

Available with Beat the GMAT members only code

MORE DETAILS
    Economist Test Prep

Best Practice Tests?

This topic has 64 expert replies and 222 member replies
Goto page Previous Next

Which company makes the best GMAT practice tests (excluding GMATPrep)?

Princeton Review

11% (227 votes)
Kaplan

23% (475 votes)
Manhattan GMAT

60% (1202 votes)
Veritas Prep

2% (40 votes)
Other? (Please let us know)

1% (37 votes)
vomhorizon Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posted:
194 messages
Followed by:
8 members
Test Date:
Mid. February 2013
Target GMAT Score:
700+
GMAT Score:
Post Fri Jul 26, 2013 1:17 am
Took the free test, Today. Must say the Quant on the new CAT is a quite a step above the old Veritas CAT's. I used to finish the Quant on the older CAT's with 3-4 minutes to spare, regardless what score i got (to my surprise my score fluctuated from a Q38 (on one occasion) to a Q47). Today I had to guess on the last 2 questions. Even the level of the questions is quite a bit more difficult than before, and it seems that the test adapts much faster compared to the previous CAT's. Verbal has also seen a bit of change, I felt that SC has become a bit tougher...RC was the same, and i even remembered having read one passage (Mnemonic cyphers) back in January. The only problem i have with Veritas RC is that the passages are very Interesting, almost keeping me wanting to read more...whereas the GMAT RC can become boring at times...My overall score was Quant 49, Verbal 39. I was not given an overall score but i guess it should be between a 710-730.

Need free GMAT or MBA advice from an expert? Register for Beat The GMAT now and post your question in these forums!

GMAT/MBA Expert

David@VeritasPrep GMAT Instructor
Posted:
2193 messages
Followed by:
507 members
GMAT Score:
Post Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:48 am
Ah, so you liked the new test!

I am sorry that the RC passages are too interesting. I know what you mean about the GMAT passages being somehow intentionally boring. Or it they are not intentionally boring someone at GMAT just likes to read boring stuff.

That reading passage on cyphers was good enough to keep in the new question pool, but I remember helping to edit new questions for that and other passages.

You should have received an overall score. If you give me your login (using a private message) I can check and report back to you what that score was. I would think it is at least a 710 with those Quant and Verbal percentiles.

Thanks for the feedback! It is very helpful.

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Enroll in a Veritas Prep GMAT class completely for FREE. Wondering if a GMAT course is right for you? Attend the first class session of an actual GMAT course, either in-person or live online, and see for yourself why so many students choose to work with Veritas Prep. Find a class now!
vomhorizon Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Posted:
194 messages
Followed by:
8 members
Test Date:
Mid. February 2013
Target GMAT Score:
700+
GMAT Score:
Post Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:03 am
I just checked the page again, the Score came up as 710, i had missed it the first time i looked at, focusing more on the questions i got wrong.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Posted:
2193 messages
Followed by:
507 members
GMAT Score:
Post Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:57 pm
I just looked back at my scores from when I took the test - I was one of the first - and I earned a 770, which is what I earned on the last official GMAT test that I took and within 10 points of my most recent attempt at the GMATPrep so that continues the trend of accuracy from this new Veritas Prep test. There are actually now five of these for Veritas students in addition to the one is that is free to everyone by following the link I posted above.

Veritas Prep Reviews

Enroll in a Veritas Prep GMAT class completely for FREE. Wondering if a GMAT course is right for you? Attend the first class session of an actual GMAT course, either in-person or live online, and see for yourself why so many students choose to work with Veritas Prep. Find a class now!
siddhu161 Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
59 messages
Post Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:55 am
I have started preparing for GMAT.
I have tried 2 mock tests in last 2 days. and scores differ too much. On 800score, I received 680 and on manhatten i got 620.
Please help me which one is ok and how to go on about the same

Thanks,
Sid

GMAT/MBA Expert

Posted:
2193 messages
Followed by:
507 members
GMAT Score:
Post Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:18 am
800 score is pretty good for Quant but the Verbal is not very much like the actual GMAT.

M-GMAT test can underscore people a bit.

The official GMATPrep test is your best indicator. Probably the second best test at this point is the free Veritas Prep test. http://www.veritasprep.com/gmat/free-gmat-practice-test/

If I had to guess based on your two scores I would say you are somewhere in between 620 and 680. But it is tough to tell. If you have a chance you should take one of those tests that I mentioned above.

Veritas Prep Reviews

bhatius Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
23 messages
Post Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:38 am
Hi,

I had taken my GMAT in Sept and got a 690. I wasn't too happy with my score so have decided to give the test once more. I have been studying and working on my verbal over the past month but was pretty horrified to get a 640 in my first mock test (MGMAT6) after restarting prep. I analysed the test and know fatigue had a big role to play in my getting a less than expected score. So I intend to take some more tests to gauge where I really stand.

Now that I'm done with all my MGMATs, I'd like to know which test series I should buy. I'm quite keen on the new Veritas tests. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,

Bhatius

GMAT/MBA Expert

Posted:
2193 messages
Followed by:
507 members
GMAT Score:
Post Sun Dec 01, 2013 10:47 am
Have you purchased the two additional official GMATPrep tests? They are known as Exam Pack 1.

The two most exciting offerings this year are the 5 Veritas tests available for purchase (and 1 for Free) and the two new GMAT Prep Tests (Exam Pack 1).

Remember that you can take the official GMAT Prep tests a second time (there will be some repeats but it is worth it).

Veritas Prep Reviews

siddhu161 Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts Default Avatar
Posted:
59 messages
Post Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:26 pm
Hi,

I have attempted Veritas free mock test up today.
Scored 680 , Q48, verbal 35.

Please help me in deciding whether this is reflecting my preparation as of now.

Thanks,
Sid

Posted:
23 messages
Post Mon Dec 02, 2013 2:52 am
Hi David. Thanks for the tip. Is it safe to assume questions on GMAT Prep Exam Pack 1 will be completely different from those in the free tests in the basic GMAT Prep software?

GMAT/MBA Expert

Posted:
2193 messages
Followed by:
507 members
GMAT Score:
Post Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:43 am
bhatius said

Quote:
Hi David. Thanks for the tip. Is it safe to assume questions on GMAT Prep Exam Pack 1 will be completely different from those in the free tests in the basic GMAT Prep software?
Yes. GMAC has indicated that there is no overlap between the exam pack 1 and the two free exams.

Veritas Prep Reviews

GMAT/MBA Expert

Posted:
2193 messages
Followed by:
507 members
GMAT Score:
Post Mon Dec 02, 2013 4:46 am
Quote:
I have attempted Veritas free mock test up today.
Scored 680 , Q48, verbal 35.

Please help me in deciding whether this is reflecting my preparation as of now.

Thanks,

Sid
At this point I would say that 680 is a good reflection of where your preparation is at. That is also a pretty balanced score between Quant and Verbal. You should use the tools on the Veritas exam to see which question types you need to work on.

You should also plan to use the GMATPrep tests. But for now I would say 680 is about where you are at!

Veritas Prep Reviews

Posted:
23 messages
Post Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:50 am
Hi David,

I need some clarification. I just gave the Vertas free exam. I got a 730 (Q49, V41). It's my best score yet (!!!) but something's bothering me. I got only 59% right in quant and 63% right in verbal. So, is the percentile I received calculated on the basis of my score versus others who took this particular test? Or does Veritas use some other way to calculate the score?

My accuracy is much lower than what I was averaging on the OGs (around 85%). Is this cause for concern or just a case of doing average in a hard test?

Thanks,

Nikhil

Posted:
23 messages
Post Thu Dec 05, 2013 11:50 am
Hi David,

I need some clarification. I just gave the Vertas free exam. I got a 730 (Q49, V41). It's my best score yet (!!!) but something's bothering me. I got only 59% right in quant and 63% right in verbal. So, is the percentile I received calculated on the basis of my score versus others who took this particular test? Or does Veritas use some other way to calculate the score?

My accuracy is much lower than what I was averaging on the OGs (around 85%). Is this cause for concern or just a case of doing average in a hard test?

Thanks,

Nikhil

GMAT/MBA Expert

Posted:
2193 messages
Followed by:
507 members
GMAT Score:
Post Thu Dec 05, 2013 12:17 pm
Nikhil -

It is not just that it is a "hard test." A true CAT test like the actual GMAT and like the new Veritas exams is delivered and scored based on item response theory. Basically the test is adapting to you by trying to see what level of question you are comfortable with. Various questions help to distinguish those who are, for example, above the 60th percentile from those who are not above the 60th percentile. Once the computer is satisfied that you are likely above that level, it is not going to be giving you very many questions below the 60th percentile because that will not help to clarify exactly what your score is. Instead the computer is going to work with the idea that you are above the 60th (after your responses have established this) and it will be trying to see exactly where you are above the 60th. So you will be facing questions above that level for most of the test.

With your score of 730 this means that you faced questions above the 80th percentile most of the time on the quant and on the verbal. You could be expected to miss some questions at this level! So missing around 2 of every 5 questions seems about right. What this means is that you impressed the computer and the computer was testing to see how high your score might be.

You said:
Quote:
So, is the percentile I received calculated on the basis of my score versus others who took this particular test? Or does Veritas use some other way to calculate the score?
It is not just a comparison to other people who have taken "this test" because every test is unique to the test taker. Each question or "item" has an item response curve that shows what level of test taker gets this right and what level does not. So each item is a certain level of difficulty based on a cumulative total of over 1.5 million responses. Your score is the result a very sophisticated algorithm that is based on your responses to various items and the difficulty of those items. This is what is done on the actual GMAT as well.

Here is the bottom line: Someone else could get a Q40 with the same percentage correct (59%) because they answered different levels of questions right and wrong than you did. Or someone could get the same Q49 that you earned, but get 75% of the questions right that they faced. Except that for most of the test they faced lower level questions than you did and so needed to get more of them right to earn their way up to the level that you were at. Does that make sense?

As for the OG - most questions are between the 25th and 75th percentile. There is not a higher percentage of questions in the OG above the 80th percentile, whereas most of the questions you faced on your exam where over the 80th percentile. That accounts for the difference.

Nice job!!

Veritas Prep Reviews

Best Conversation Starters

1 Vincen 152 topics
2 lheiannie07 61 topics
3 Roland2rule 49 topics
4 ardz24 40 topics
5 LUANDATO 32 topics
See More Top Beat The GMAT Members...

Most Active Experts

1 image description Brent@GMATPrepNow

GMAT Prep Now Teacher

141 posts
2 image description EconomistGMATTutor

The Economist GMAT Tutor

107 posts
3 image description GMATGuruNY

The Princeton Review Teacher

106 posts
4 image description Rich.C@EMPOWERgma...

EMPOWERgmat

104 posts
5 image description Matt@VeritasPrep

Veritas Prep

76 posts
See More Top Beat The GMAT Experts