Average GMAT score but B-School bound!

Congrats! Tell us how you did it
This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Average GMAT score but B-School bound!

by jk2010 » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:08 am
Disclaimer - a shot of "5 Hour Energy" and a diet Red-Bull are to blame for the following, lengthy dissertation!! Read on if you can endure!

I have been an avid reader but tepid contributor to BTG for a while now. Like most who start their B-School journey, I did my research, bought the books, followed this and other websites, and figured, "heh..too easy, 750 here I come." My only concern was whether I really wanted to move to Cambridge or Philly or just stick around my hometown (DC). Of course, like everyone else who enters this voyage with uber confidence (let's face it, most of us are smart, already managers, and successful), I was promptly smacked off my high horse after my first effort at the GMAT! That is when I got serious. There have been some highs and lows, and I have debunked a few myths along the way, but I will be attending American University's Kogod School of Business this fall!

So...I have been thinking of how to capture my particular experience over the past many months and decided to just lay it out there. First, a little background. I have a story that is not particularly unique, but certainly it is not typical. I am a career soldier in the US Army, coming in directly out of High School. Over the past couple decades I dabbled in college when I could, but never took it seriously. When technology (the Internet and Distance Learning) stole all of my excuses, I finally pressed hard and nugged out my undergrad degree. This leads me to myth # 1 - an online undergrad degree is unacceptable for B School. I earned a BS in Management from University of Maryland University College (UMUC)almost entirely online (all tests were proctored at test centers). UMUC is an accredited and respected school, and it is good enough for the admissions officers for each school I spoke with at MBA fairs and campus visits.

After I graduated, I figured I would be good to go taking my GMAT; after all, I just recently completed my undergrad and would have an advantage since the stuff was all relatively fresh. Keep in mind, I had ZERO idea what the GMAT was all about or what was on it. A friend of my wife recommended the book "Cracking the GMAT," which I promptly bought and laid on the shelf for the next 4 months. I decided I would apply to (and of course attend) Georgetown's McDonough School of Business starting Fall 2011. I went to the information session, talked to the admissions peeps and a few MBA candidates, and decided this is the school for me. I scheduled my GMAT for about 3 weeks later. As an afterthought, I enrolled in a Veritas, 2 weekend course prior to my test. Meanwhile my "Cracking the GMAT" was my only resource, but it didn't do much other than provide several hundred pages of guessing strategies. I strongly recommend reviewing their AWA formatting strategies though.

Veritas was great; they sent a stack of books and I received access to a bunch of online resources and tests. I took the "Math Diagnostic" test, where I was quickly faced with Myth #2 - "It's just high school math...no sweat." I think I got about half of the questions right and there weren't even any DS questions. YIKES! No worries, I have 40 hours of test prep....I will be fine! The Veritas weekend course was fast and furious and LONG. 10 hours / day each on Saturday and Sunday for two weekends. I did learn A LOT and felt very comfortable and confident. On Tuesday I marched into the testing center ready to roll out with a solid 650.

Myth #3 - Test taking strategies and basic understanding are enough to score 600+. I took practice tests up until the the day of the exam, didn't sleep for about 2 days prior, worked GMAT problems on my Iphone on the metro to the test center, and was thoroughly exhausted when I walked in for the test. Essays...easy....Quant....felt good.....Verbal... rocked it!! My GMAT completed, I rolled through all those screens at the end, answer all those questions, then BAM.... wait for it..... 380! My stomach dropped to my feet, as I stared blankly at my paltry score. I did, however, score a 6 on my AWA....go me!

Phase II - I had to get serious. I called Veritas and told them my situation and for a bit more money, I enrolled in the full two month course. Veritas was great throughout, and they were very helpful and responsive to my questions and needs! I bought the OG and supplemental guides, started following the BTG boards, and reviewed where I had the biggest problems. I realized I had to master the material and not just study. I scheduled my retest 3 months later following my full Veritas course. I admit, I began to obsess about this test. I wanted to get my application to McDonough in for the first round. Though the admissions folks said, "your GMAT score is only one facet of your application," I needed to get at least a 620 to be in the 80% bracket. So I studied my tail off, gave up any free time, and maximized all the tools Veritas provided.

I realized that during my first test, I did not do what my Veritas teacher told me to do. I chose the trap answers in PS, didn't MSA (move stuff around), defaulted to C or E in tricky DS questions, used my ear on SC questions, and wasted lots of time on RC reading every painful detail. NEVER AGAIN I SAY!!

OK...GMAT #2, here I come. This time I rolled with the "well rested, well tested" theory, but I lacked the same confidence I had on test #1. As soon as I started with the first essay, I felt "off." Typically, I can jam out some digits (as you can see by this long story) but I was plagued by writer's block. I took the break, cleared my head, and dove into Quant. YIKES... I still felt out of rhythm. However, about half way through I was facing some complex geometry and lengthy word problems....I must be doing great! Oddly, my last several questions were super elementary - what does that mean?? Verbal was heading down hill fast. I was not on pace, spending too much time on CR questions, and spent easily 5 minutes reading a particular RC passage. I rushed the last 4 questions and didn't even finish the final question. SIGH.... I scrolled through the pages till the end.... score...... 540. NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Alright, that was a pretty significant increase but not good enough. At that point, I was just angry. Anger turned to despair. Maybe B-School is just not for me, clearly I am an idiot.

Not one for self-pity, I decided this test, my bane, my enemy, my nemesis, will not own me! I obsessed even more!

Phase III - I enrolled in the (free) BTG 60 day program, purchased the BTG practice problems, and got back to basics. I had tools from Veritas that showed me my weaknesses with great print outs, so I used them in conjunction with "custom practice sessions" on BTG Practice questions. The 60 Day program was absolutely awesome! Each day I received an assignment via email. I was able to focus on one topic at a time (rather than my previous "do a little of everything" method), and track my progress. I picked up some MGMAT books (SC, RC, and a couple Quant books) and KAPLAN's GMAT premier.

GMAT #3 - I felt good. My practice CATs were all in the mid to high 600's (my highest was an MGMAT 690). I had my confidence back and thought 700 is not too far out of my reach!! To make this long story short...I scored a 570 and 6 on my AWA. I was very disappointed (and about $3000 in the red).

With my GMAT at "absolutely average," I started looking for other options...EMBA? OnLine MBA? I went to a QS MBA Fair. Because I signed up in advance, I was invited to a pre-meeting with various schools. One school was running late, so as an afterthought I talked to the American University (Kogod) admissions rep (Judi Beyers). She was very informative. I had never heard of Kogod, mainly because I had only looked at the top rated schools in my area. I really liked what she had to say. As soon as I got home, I looked up the class profile...median GMAT 580! WOW...there is hope for me yet!!

I attended an open house at AU, and that set the hook. The atmosphere and vibe was so friendly and welcoming. Everyone there really seemed to enjoy being a student. I did not get the same feeling at McDonough. Hmmm...decision time. With applications in at several schools in my area (GW, Mason, G'Town, and AU), what if I get accepted into more than one?

Back to my background.... I have been a soldier for a long time. When I go to B School, I want to enjoy my time, feel a part of a community, and not just be a face in the crowd. Kogod classes are small by design, and interaction with fellow students and faculty is very high. Since I am going Part Time, I don't want to regret my decision to spend the next 3 years with my head down and dreading each class. Alas - Myth #4 - No decent school will take you with a GMAT less than 650.

After my interview, I was invited to Kogod's PT MBA program starting this Fall, and I accepted. I don't expect to hear back from the other schools (Kogod has rolling admissions vs rounds) until mid May, so I don't even know if they will take my average score. If they do, I will be honored, but my decision is made. Kogod here I come!!

With all that said, what were some lessons learned?

1) You can't simply study for the GMAT; you must truly prepare. By that, you must MASTER the principles. When you have your principles mastered THEN enroll in a course to learn about strategies. Veritas taught me an important lesson..."KTT"...Know The Test!

2) Start your preparation early. The test is good for 5 years so take it on YOUR schedule!

3) Don't limit yourself to your "dream schools." You never know what opportunity you may find that you did not plan for!

4) Visit your schools if possible. Reading about them is not enough. Walk around the campus, talk to students and faculty, and see if you feel the magic.

5) Don't give up. I will take that GMAT until I get my 700!! I may be 60 years old by the time I do it, but I will Beat The GMAT!!

Best of luck!

Legendary Member
Followed by:34 members
GMAT Score:720

by vineeshp » Fri Apr 15, 2011 10:16 am
Good attitude towards the GMAT. All the best :)
Vineesh,
Just telling you what I know and think. I am not the expert. :)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by farrahkhan83 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 12:02 pm
This seems to be similar to the story of my GMAT journey. I took the test FOUR times. That's $1000, not including the books purchased (official guide - twice) and the Princeton Review course I took - twice. Ugh.

My first time - the time I prepared least - I scored a 530. However, I'd taken a PR course before taking it. I thought, I'll take the PR course one more time (I did not do enough work the first time and knew it was my fault for not making enough of an effort), study my tail off, and score in the 600s! Though I did study like crazy, I did not work on my timing and ran out of time to answer both the quant and verbal questions. Score this time: 480. It DIPPED by 50 points.

Third time - I had my first round of applications coming up, so I had to get my score up. I registered to take the test exactly 4 weeks and a day after the second time. I tried to focus on timing as well as taking the test. Score this time: 500. Ugh. I wanted to be done, so I sold my OG book.

I applied with my 530 score and was waitlisted to my top choice. After speaking to the admissions advisor, I signed up for the test once more timing and repurchased the OG book. Purchased the BTG questions and loosely followed the 60 day study guide (even though I had 34 days until the exam). I customized review sessions to focus on my week spots and work on timing, being aware of how long certain problems took and at what point I just HAD to move on. Score this time: 620!

That 620 got me into my top choice (also in the DC area though not any of the schools you mentioned). I'm done with the test - I refused to pay any more money for it!

by aftableo2006 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:21 am
jk2010 has a great attitude keep rocking

Followed by:3 members

by kruthika » Tue Jun 07, 2011 10:18 am
Amazing attitude and determination... :)

by jk2010 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:28 pm
Thanks Kruthika.....I ended up changing my plan and going with Georgetown (McDonough)! I just couldn't pass up the opportunity.

https://www.beatthegmat.com/my-570-surprise-t83771.html

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members
GMAT Score:730

qwerty

by sinotranslator » Tue Sep 06, 2011 9:39 am
qwerty