Ask an MIT Sloan Student

Talk to current MBA students about life in MBA programs (not for app advice/discussion)
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by chillinpriyanka » Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:37 pm
Hello Tom,

Really nice of you to take time off and answer queries. I am targeting the 1st deadline(8 days from now!) of MIT this year for a full-time MBA and wanted a quick profile check.

I am a 27 years Indian female.
GMAT - 670 (:( 84%)
Quant - 48 (78%)
Verbal - 34 (69%)
AWA - 5 (57%)

Academics: 72.4% in Engineering (2007) - Not an IITian. Pursued my Engineering from the Top 2nd college in Karnataka, India.

Work experience (45 Months)
- Started as a software engineer in an IT consultancy firm called MindTree Limited in Bangalore
- Worked with Insurance, Manufacturing and Media clients
- After 2 years, paved my way to move to the role of a Business Analyst for the Retail, Media and Services vertical group of the same company
- Involved in Presales activities - Market Research, Developing proposals for prospectve clients, client presentations
- Led a team of 5 Business Analysts to Holland for 4 months for the Transition Phase of one-of-its-kind project and for the largest client of the company
- Managed a team of 5 Business Analysts post the transition phase in India for offshore presales activities

Apart from this, I was deeply involved in Talent Transformation and CSR activities of the organization.
- Chosen to mentor groups of 65 and 180 fresh recruits for 3 months each to inculcate leadership skills and the company's value system in the joinees through various activities and workshops
- Involved in campus interviews, conducting campus workshops
- Anchor for the CSR initiative dealing with a School for Deaf and Dumb

Major extra-curriculars apart from the above 2:
- Participated in the 18 days nation-wide entrepreneurship event called The Jagriti Yatra 2010. Only 400 selected out of a pool of 60000
- Sub-headed Sunfeast Marathon 10k and was involved with coordinating the entire Dope Testing and Interviews for International Women athletes
- Part-time counselor at Mazumdar-Shaw Cancer Hospital

Lastly, I am currently pursuing a course in Liberal Arts called The Young India Fellowship in India. This is a full scholarship course in collaboration with UPenn. Only 100 people country-wide are selected to be part of this 1 year residential program. As part of this, I am getting a diverse view of various subjects and involved in projects ranging from shooting documentaries on change-makers to researching and deeply studying the Artist Migrants to Delhi.

As part of the course itself, I am interning part-time with a start-up venture in the Food and Beverage Industry. It is the first of its kind venture and aims to emerge as a big brand in India. As part of this, I am involved in Business Development, brand building and marketing for their new outlet in Delhi. This is giving me first hand exposure to Sales and Marketing.

Ah! After the already too-long description, just few concerns - I am quite under-confident about my score. I plan to apply in Havard, Kellogg and INSEAD too but my GMAT score is pulling me down and honestly, I do not want to write it again. I have heard that MIT and Havard are too particular about the GMAT being above 720.

Do let me know your thoughts and would be great if you could give me an analysis of my profile for these bschools.

Awaiting your response.

Thanks.

Regards,
Priyanka

by Dannyme » Fri Oct 26, 2012 7:16 pm
Hi,Tom, thank you so much for offering the help.

I'm a senior student from a third world country,and very few of us have the chance to study in a prestigious school like MIT. Next year, however,
my professor will go to Sloan as a visiting scholar , this is a very rare opportunity in my place, I've been working for this professor for two years and we 're very good friends. There's little possibility that I will be admitted by a school like Sloan in the near future ,so I was thinking is it possible for me to go to Sloan with my professor as an assistant or as a dependent? This may be my only chance to study in a school like this and I really really want to go. Thank you very much.

Danielle.

MBA Student
Followed by:1 members

by robbieh » Sat Nov 24, 2012 8:11 am
Hello, future MBA candidates!

Some of you may have heard about the Leaders for Global Operations program at MIT. It's a dual program in which the student earns an MBA from Sloan and a Master of Science from the Engineering School. If you are thinking about applying, Jane Deutsch, the Director of Admissions and Career Development for LGO, has posted a blog that I think you might find useful. It addresses several of the questions you might have about the application. Take a look!

https://lgo.mit.edu/news/articles/lgo-ap ... -faqs.html

Good luck with your apps,
Robbie
LGO Fellow, Class of 2014
Robbie

MIT Sloan Student

by keertic » Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:14 pm
Hi Robbieh ,

Small introduction of mine

Work exp-2yrs
role-product engineer
undergraduate -bachelors in mechanical engg(8.5/10 CGPA)
GRE score-320
country- india

I am very keen to do MBA in operations.I was wondering if i have any chances of getting into MIT with this above profile & GRE scores.Will they prefer GRE scores equally as they do for GMAT?

An how about interviews ,do we need to come there for interview or there is separate panel in different countries for MIT interview.

and if u r in contact with student who got admitted through GRE scores then please share the id ,to clear further doubts.

Awaiting for reply.

Regards
keerti chouhan

by Izomer » Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:46 pm
Hi, guys!

I'm considering applying to HBS and MIT Sloan both, but I've heard that the atmosphere in HBS is very competitive and sometimes not so friendly to make these two years really best two years in a whole life :) Can you tell me anything about MIT? How do students treat each other? Do they work in team? Do they usually become good friends? Are there any activities besides book-worming? :)

Thx for your answer!

by carbonclan » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:08 am
Hi, I have a 10 yr + experience in Innovation, marketing and NPD in India with a top Conglomerate. Interested in a global career, would an executive MBA with MIT be appropriate?

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by prithviyr1 » Mon Jun 30, 2014 4:29 am
Hey Everyone,

Great work there........ Appreciate the help of the current students of sloan. I do have a query though, I did posted this query in a different thread but it did'nt recieved any responses.,

Here goes my query, apart from MBA and LGO programs there exists another program called SDM(strategic design and management) at MIT. Can somebody please throw more light on this program "SDM". How is SDM compared with that of a regular MBA from Sloan? What are the main differences between both programs. Does SDM fellows get to interact with Sloan's fellows as is the case with the students of LGO programs. What are the necessary differentiators among these three programs, please enlighten us.

I'm a mechanical engineer with three years of work-ex in product design and development, now interested in taking my career towards systems engineering; hence my interest in SDM also I'm inclined towards pursuing an MBA too. Since I'm an engineer by heart I'm naturally inclined towards SDM owing to it's concentration towards systems design and engineering but I cant even ignore the fact how an MBA would open many new doors in terms of careers and entrepreneurship.

P.S: I just want to make an informed decision and expecting the current Sloan student's help in doing so. Any comments will be appreciated. :):)

Thanks
Prithvi

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by prithviyr1 » Fri Jul 11, 2014 1:31 am
Anyone out there..........???????
can somebody please share some information on MIT's SDM program.

Thanks
Prithvi