Ask an MIT Sloan Student

Talk to current MBA students about life in MBA programs (not for app advice/discussion)
This topic has expert replies
MBA Student
Followed by:26 members
GMAT Score:760

by therealtomrose » Wed Jun 29, 2011 5:25 am
Soumava,

The Sloan Fellows program is different from a full-time MBA. The average work experience for the full-time MBA is about 60 months. The average work experience for Sloan Fellows is probably closer to 10 years.

I would suggest either re-targeting your sights on a school that is a closer match for your current profile now, i.e. they're taking younger people, or working another couple of years as you suggest. You'll really need to distinguish yourself with promotions and management experience. If possible, try to get some P&L experience. That's good CEO training.

T
Like the advice? Remember to click the "thank" button. It's my only source of gratification :)

-Tom Rose

MIT Sloan MBA, Class of 2011
The MBA Show: https://www.TheMBAShow.com

Full disclosure, I work for
ManhattanGMAT: https://www.manhattangmat.com/gmat-tutor-rose.cfm

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by emg » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:46 am
Tom,

Thank you for sharing with us!

I am planning to apply for R1 this October, and wanted to get some feedback from you.

I graduated with an International Affairs (Middle East concentration)/Art History dual BA and have been working for a mid-size manufacturer/distributor for the past 4 years. I started there as an intern, was Logistics Manager for the first 2 years and Operations Director for the last 2. I work directly in the Supply Chain with both major retail stores and mom-and-pop shops, coordinating all transport, logistics and order management. In my last 2 years, I have been responsible for setting up new accounts via EDI and was in charge of implementing an entirely new operations system for our company. I have been working to set up all ODBC connections and engineered most of the transition myself.

MIT LGO is my first choice. I think the Systems Engineering track will help me gain the tools to help increase the efficiency and ROI within a supply chain environment. Since my company is not large, I had the opportunity to see all ends of the spectrum - from production to drop shipping to A/P - and think I have great practical experience. MIT LGO would offer technical instruction and a network to help me learn and grow in the field.

I took the GRE, and scored 92%/640V and 90%/780Q, and I have a 3.5 GPA. I speak 4 languages and started a recording studio/art space with some friends 2 years ago. I have no engineering/computer science background (other than the love for it!, and my dad being a programmer) and am nervous that this will jeopardize my chances. Should I take a Fall Engineering class somewhere? What else can I do to show that I would be a great addition to the MIT LGO community?

Thanks,

E

MBA Student

by therealtomrose » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:39 am
The LGO program will be looking for evidence that you are powerful when dealing with numbers. That evidence can come from anywhere and does not need to come from academic experience. You clearly have operations experience. Your challenge is being able to communicate that experience without using jargon. (E.g. don't use the terms EDI, ODBC, etc.)

You didn't cite any alternative to your academic studies over the summer. Will it help your application? Of course! Will it be better than the alternative, I can't say without knowing the alternative. I sense that you feel weak in the numbers department. In that case, you should do the course, so that you feel strong and confident.

T
Like the advice? Remember to click the "thank" button. It's my only source of gratification :)

-Tom Rose

by doubleoinfo07 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 2:32 pm
Hey Tom,

Thank you so much for offering your expertise and advice to students interested in MIT's Sloan School. Sorry if this is a bit long-winded, but I want to give you as much background on myself as possible so that you can understand where I am coming from and possibly guide me.

A little bit about myself: I recently just graduated from an Ivy League institution (not that it matters in the least bit, just background) with a Bachelor of Arts degree in Engineering and a minor in Public Policy. I am interested in the intersection between public policy and technology, but I am also interested in technology's involvement in business operations. I helped start the undergraduate business program at my school and I was the treasurer for my engineering school's finance club. I have worked for two non-profit internships, one pertaining to technology and public policy research the State of Ohio. Currently I am working as a Research Associate for policy organization in Boston focused on making Massachusetts more competitive as far as business expansion and investment is concerned. I am charged with finding ways to help reduce the cost of energy in the Commonwealth. I am interested in eventually working for corporate America, but I would also be comfortable dabbling in policy work (defense contracting, DOE, MITRE, etc).

My GPA was okay, but not anywhere close to great. Although I graduated, I am attending school for an extra year in order to become an accredited engineer and to attain my Bachelors of Engineering degree. Afterward I hope to work for a couple of years before I go onto graduate school. In between my 5th year and my time working, I hope to take the GMAT as well as the GRE.

With all of that said I have some personal questions as well as questions pertaining to the LGO program at MIT. First, what makes the LGO program at MIT any different from the MIT SDM (systems design and management) program (other than the fact that one grants two degree and the other grants one)? What do you think LGO admissions people are looking for and SDM people are looking for? Also what distinguishes a LGO student from a regular MBA applicant (perhaps besides the fact that many LGO applicants are engineers since engineers also apply to MBA programs)? What is MIT looking for in an LGO applicant? What makes a strong LGO applicant (beside a high GPA)?

Also as I move on in my 5th year engineering degree, what would you advise me to do in order to begin strengthening my future application to LGO as well as any joint program offering MBA plus a M.S.? How can I make myself standout in the application process given my background?

I really appreciate your help. Please be as critical as you need to be.

Eric

MBA Student

by therealtomrose » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:23 pm
SDM, LGO, and MBA exist on a spectrum from technical to business in that order. Other than that, the biggest difference is cultural. You should hang out with people from all three programs, then you'll be able to tell the difference. My guess, you will clearly associate with one and only one of the three groups. Then you'll know the right program to apply to.

T

-Tom Rose

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Surev » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:05 am
Hi Tom: I am targeting round 1 applications for B-schools this year. Here is a brief profile:
GMAT - 710 (Q50,V37); Undergrad - Electrical Engineering from an elite Indian school (IIT); WE - Total of 9+ years including 2 years in a patent services startup, 3 years of entrepreneurial experience providing patent services to US based law firms and consulting to Indian clients, last 3+ years as an patent & technology analyst in a Fortune 5 oil&gas firm based in India.

So while I have the positives of an entrepreneurial experience and an unconventional profile, the negatives are higher than average age, low undergrad GPA and no significant extracurriculars.

Would appreciate your response on the following question:
1. How do MIT look at the so called "old" candidates? I can explain that my MBA plan got delayed due to my entrepreneurial stint and then the time I had to spend rebuilding my personal life after the failed entrepreneurial attempt. Will that stand?
2. I do not have any sports interests to boast of or any community service to showcase. I have my own simple hobbies such as quizzing, puzzles solving etc. Is that a big negative?
3. I have some great experiences of interacting with CEOs and Investors as an entrepreneur. How much will that count for MIT?

After MBA, I want to continue in the energy sector with a focus on new and emerging technologies either through an energy VC fund or the investment arm of an oil&gas major.

Thanks in advance.
Surev

MBA Student

by therealtomrose » Mon Sep 05, 2011 4:34 am
It is those things that make you unique that make you valuable to an MBA program. Stay positive.

I'll divide my advice into generic b-school advice, and MIT advice.

B-school generic advice:
None of the negatives that you mentioned will hold you back in a catastrophic way at any school. Age and GPA are not big issues. Dearth of extracurricular activities is a big problem, but is something that you should be able to fix relatively easily. I'll bet there is something you are passionate about that you don't think of as an extracurricular activity that you could simply start thinking of as one. If not, get started doing something immediately, not just for B-school, but for life. You mention puzzles. Are you familiar with Mensa? There are plenty of puzzle organizations and competitions that you could start participating in.

MIT specific advice:
I have a close friend who graduated in my class who entered as an entrepreneur with 10 years of experience. He ran a software company before coming to Sloan. The average years of experience at Sloan is about 5, so 9 isn't that strange at all. 9 years of experience is a bigger red flag at a really young school such as HBS.

In short, don't worry about it. Focus on your strengths and the weaknesses that you have mentioned shouldn't seem like too big of an issue. Remember, it is those things that make you unique that make you valuable to an MBA program.

T

-Tom Rose

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by Surev » Tue Sep 06, 2011 10:03 am
Thanks Tom for your advice. Makes me feel better.

by tracy2009 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:42 pm
Hi, Tom,

I am target to find a program in MIT, but confused among LGO, Sloan Fellows Program, and 2 year MBA. Could you please help to evaluate my profile and suggest programs that you think I should pursue in MIT? I really love the entrepreneur ecosystem there. Thanks in advance.

GMAT - 700(Q49,V35) AWA:Pending
Toefl-102(Reading 28, Listening 24, Speaking 23, writing 27)

30 years old Chinese Female

Educational Background
- Bachelor of Science in Management - majoring in business administration (Non-top in China but a reputed college) 74/100
(Obtained a junior college degree in 3 years, and then managed to earn bachelor degree from a reputable college within 2 years, while other students use to get the degree in 4 years. The bachelor degree is equivalent to 4 years degree in USA)

Professional Experience.
- Years of work experience: don't know how to count serve my favor better; Here I list all my history. Hope to have your advice on years of work experience too.
By Fall 2012 I will have 6 Years of work experience upon graduation. If my real work experience counts, I will have 11 + years work experience in total.
1) Have been working as entrepreneur running a small business with annual revenue of USD 2+M since age 19 to date.
2) Have been working for 5+ years in No 1 market research company at China headquarter as senior project manager with accelerated progress(senior executive->manager->senior manager within 3.5 years), one of the youngest at my grade in the organization.

-Leadership:
1) Have lead a sales team of 9 in my business to work on daily management from purchasing, stock management, staff training, and client development to payment negotiation..
2)Have lead an elite team of 3-7 in China headquarter to maneuver 1000+ people on the ground to execute and deliver various core Projects in my currently company. Many projects have been cited as "best practice" to share with many countries in the region.

Major Extra Curricular
- found a club to organize multiple events for 350+ people regularly.
-served two weeks at MT's house in India.
-lived &studied in US for 6+ months.

Professional Goals
- Want to build on my expertise in project management/general management.
- Pursue a consulting career in the Big Consulting firms with a focus on business process improvement/FMCG industry.

Target Programs
- Want to pursue a higher degree from an elite school focus on general management and entrepreneurship.

My concern is that will am too young to pursue Sloan Fellow program but too old for two-year MBA? What are your suggested programs? Thank you very much!

MBA Student

by therealtomrose » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:27 pm
You're definitely not an LGO. That's for people who want to specialize in operations. You COULD be a fellow because you're on the edge of having enough business experience, but if you can afford to take two years off, a full-time MBA will serve you better.

If you want to work for a consulting firm, you should go for the full-time MBA program.

T

-Tom Rose

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by bm2012 » Thu Jul 12, 2012 1:18 pm
I intend to apply to business schools this fall and I am keen to apply to MIT for the MBA program.

About myself:

Work Experience

- Engaged in the family business of transportation in India since the last two years. In an executive role, I manage roles in Business Development, Office Administration, Human Resource Management, Finance, Accounting and internal control.

- Prior to this, I worked with a Global Investment Bank as a Trainee in the finance controller division. After the year long training, I was offered a full time position in a team based on performance on a certain project.

- I worked with a public accounting firm for a year and a half before taking up the role of a trainee as noted above. Here I gained experience in management accounting, audit procedures and taxation matters.

Education

- Chartered Accountancy Course, India (Equivalent of US CPA) - currently in the final level - cleared the first two levels with distinction and was ranked 29th across the country in the first level

- CFA (US) Level 2 candidate 2013

- Bachelors in Commerce, Delhi University - cleared with 75.5% - First Class with distinction

Major Extra curriculars

- Volunteer for a national entrepreneurship promoting group. Individually organised and managed events including seminars, monthly meetups and the like. Worked with first generation entrepreneurs in the Healthcare and IT sectors by providing inputs on business development, accounts and taxation matters.

- Volunteered at Greenpeace to promote awareness about environmental issues in schools and colleges.

- Held the position of Vice President in the Commerce Society in college. Held positions in the editorial board of the college magazine. Led the Social Assimilation Team of the National Service Scheme in college to conduct several surveys and studies.

GMAT Score
Total 710 (92%)
Quantitative 51 (98%)
Verbal 34 (69%)
AWA 5.0 (57%)

Areas of interest:
Marketing, Supply Chain Management, Strategy, Entrepreneurship

Post MBA plans

Short Term - pursue a career in a consulting/business development role in the supply chain management sector in an emerging nation

Long Term - Return to the family business

Query

Could you comment on my choice of MIT for business school considering my background and goals?

MBA Student

by robbieh » Mon Jul 30, 2012 2:30 pm
Hello everybody! I'm Robbie Harris, a first year at MIT Sloan and a fellow in the Leaders for Global Operations (LGO). I would be happy to answer MIT Sloan or LGO questions for the community. Here is some info about me:

Before School: I came out of undergrad with a degree in management and mechanical engineering. I spent the next 5 years as a project engineer working on hydraulic components for pretty much anything that flies. I wanted to pursue an MBA so that I could be a part of the strategic decisions in my industry. After applying to a few schools, I was accepted into MIT Sloan and the LGO program, and I couldn't imagine a better program for me.

Now and Beyond: I'm only about 2 months into school (the LGO program starts in June), but things are pretty busy already. I'm involved in a couple of LGO-specific committees, and will join some of the general Sloan committees as soon as the rest of the class gets here next month.

As of now, my time at Sloan is pretty centered around the LGO program, but I'd be glad to answer any questions that you may have about either.

-Robbie Harris

GMAT/MBA Expert

Site Admin
Followed by:994 members

by beatthegmat » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:05 pm
Welcome Robbie, and thanks for sharing that wonderful intro! It's great to have you representing MIT. Really looking forward to learning more about LGO too.
Beat The GMAT | The MBA Social Network
Community Management Team

Research Top GMAT Prep Courses:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/gmat-prep-courses

Research The World's Top MBA Programs:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/school

MBA Student

by robbieh » Mon Jul 30, 2012 5:27 pm
bm2012,

Your career plan seems well thought out to me. MIT Sloan has a strong supply chain component, including the study of System Dynamics, which was originated at MIT. There are also several opportunities to work in an emerging nation as a student through things like the Global Entrepreneurship Lab. I am not a representative of the Admissions Office, but you seem like a competitive applicant to me. I certainly think you should consider MIT Sloan.

-Robbie

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by bm2012 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:59 pm
robbieh wrote:bm2012,

Your career plan seems well thought out to me. MIT Sloan has a strong supply chain component, including the study of System Dynamics, which was originated at MIT. There are also several opportunities to work in an emerging nation as a student through things like the Global Entrepreneurship Lab. I am not a representative of the Admissions Office, but you seem like a competitive applicant to me. I certainly think you should consider MIT Sloan.

-Robbie
Hello Robbie

Thank you for your inputs.

I have started preparing my application for MIT.

Could you please share with us your perception of MIT before (significant research material you collected - considering the sheer volume of information generated on MIT, I'm sure to miss out on a lot of vital stuff) and after (though it's been just two months) you started attending class?