Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

@ blast:

I think C is incorrect because it says the spr. wheat is well adapted, and this is clearly not "more adapted than winter wheat" meaning that no comparision is made here and we can not know which one is more profitable.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by singalong » Thu Aug 04, 2011 6:33 pm

Timer

00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

David@VeritasPrep wrote:rx_11 -

To answer your question, I would not treat this as an assumption just because it is asking for a premise that is not yet stated. All strengthen questions are looking for a premise that has not been stated. On official questions the word "assumption" or "assumes" will be there. However, if you do treat this as an assumption A is still the best answer.

sk818020 (Jared) has given a great explanation on answer choice A and that is why I commented on other aspects of the problem - no need for me to duplicate.

The argument already tells you that Spring wheat and Winter wheat are usually equally profitable. So as Selango says, the two wheats should each be fairly well adapted to the soil - or else they are both poorly adapted. In either case I do not think that C is an assumption. What if the wheat is not well adapted? What if it is only "okay" in terms of adaptation? What if the adaptation is average? That would not mean that Spring wheat will not be more profitable given what we are already told. The thing that has changed is that winter wheat yields are down. So this will result in less profit unless the price is up. As Jared says, as long as answer choice A is in place this means that spring wheat will be more profitable. The only way to make winter wheat more profitable is for winter wheat to command higher prices. Choice A eliminates this possibility.

So strengthen or assumption A is the correct answer.
David.. if this was an assumption question, wouldn't B be an equal contender?If we negate it, we get that new spring wheat crops must not be planted when the winter wheat is already standing.Hence there's no question of profits at all.This weakens the arguement entirely right?

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:512 members
GMAT Score:770

by David@VeritasPrep » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:10 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

No --

Choice B is gone right from the start. Choice B is made irrelevant by the stimulus. The stimulus clearly forbids the possibility of planting both crops. It says
Davison River farmers are currently deciding between planting winter wheat this fall or spring wheat next spring.
Now I am not sure why they must choose between, it could be water, soil minerals, or timing. But there is no possibility here of two crops. Not possible on critical reasoning to short out the whole question!

Also, the portion before the blank says:
Therefore, planting spring wheat will be more profitable than planting winter wheat, since___________.
So you need to show why spring wheat is more profitable. There is not option to say, "plant both."

Nice idea though! Just remember that an assumption, when negated, still has to work within the question and cannot weaken the conclusion by taking out the entire question.
Veritas Prep | GMAT Instructor

Veritas Prep Reviews
Save $100 off any live Veritas Prep GMAT Course

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by singalong » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:19 pm

Timer

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

David@VeritasPrep wrote:No --

Choice B is gone right from the start. Choice B is made irrelevant by the stimulus. The stimulus clearly forbids the possibility of planting both crops. It says
Davison River farmers are currently deciding between planting winter wheat this fall or spring wheat next spring.
Now I am not sure why they must choose between, it could be water, soil minerals, or timing. But there is no possibility here of two crops. Not possible on critical reasoning to short out the whole question!

Also, the portion before the blank says:
Therefore, planting spring wheat will be more profitable than planting winter wheat, since___________.
So you need to show why spring wheat is more profitable. There is not option to say, "plant both."

Nice idea though! Just remember that an assumption, when negated, still has to work within the question and cannot weaken the conclusion by taking out the entire question.
wow.. that was a total oversight on my side. Thanks a lot for pointing it out David.