What GPA/GMAT is needed to get into a top 5 school?

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Sat Jan 03, 2009 7:45 pm
Dear ALC,

There is variance as to whether schools will allow you to update your GMAT score after you submit. Since Kellogg and Darden receive a high volume of applications, it is safe to assume they probably will not. Your 650 does not put you out of range; it just means the rest of your application must make a compelling case to offer you a seat over others with GMAT scores below the average. At this point, I think it might be better to apply in the second round with a 650 then holding your application to round 3. In the event you do not increase your GMAT score, then you will be competing for the handful of seats left which is not as good for you probability-wise.

You do have a strong GPA, so if you have B+ or better in quantitative coursework, then it will demonstrate your ability to handle the business school curriculum. Likewise, if you have quantitative or analytical aspects to your work experience, that can further support your candidacy. If you don't feel these things are highlighted enough in your current essays/resume, then you might consider writing the optional essay explaining how you have the quantitative ability to succeed in the program.

Finally, I would suggest adding another school to your list where your 650 is closer to the average. There are many great programs out there with GMAT averages in the 630-680 range. It is always good to have a backup plan in the event you need it.

Best of luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by ALC » Sat Jan 03, 2009 8:07 pm
Thanks, Lisa, I really appreciate your perspective. My quant grades in college were all A's and I actually do do a decent amount of quantitative work in my current job. This helps a lot, thank you. I will call the admissions offices of both schools on Monday to determine if I can submit a later score, but otherwise I agree with your thought to go round 2 versus three.

Thanks again, especially for getting back to me so promptly!

low gpa

by cricket123 » Tue Jan 13, 2009 4:24 am
with a low gpa of 2.45 and a 700+ score in gmat do i stand a chance of getting admission in a good usa university?

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Tue Jan 13, 2009 6:36 pm
Dear cricket123,

I think there are good schools in the US that might be interested in your application, but decisions are made on more than the numbers. I encourage you to visit our sticky on school selection for tips and insights on identifying potential programs for you. Good programs do exist outside the top 25 schools, so don't let rankings determine your target list.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

Figuring out my list

by JeremySmith » Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:47 pm
Lisa-
I am trying to draw up a list of 3 reaches, 3 safeties, and 3 that fall somewhere in the middle. I'm a Tufts University grad with a GPA of 3.36, including a 3.63 senior year GPA, an A in Principles of Economics, and an A in Finite Mathematics (no other true quant courses on my transcript). 700 GMAT score. 4 years work experience as a business analyst at a boutique venture advisory services firm. At this moment i don't really care where in the country I go, just trying to go to the best school I can.

I'm seeking guidance wherever I can get it in drawing up my list of 9. Perhaps you can help?

Thanks,
Jeremy

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:36 pm
Dear Jeremy,

I think you can be competitive at any school you apply to with your GPA and GMAT. The hard parts are identifying the most appropriate schools for your goals and putting together the best application possible. I encourage you to visit our sticky on school selection for tips and insights. Hopefully it will give you a good place to start as you begin your research.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

by DLI » Thu Jan 22, 2009 11:20 am
Lisa:

I recently completed the GMAT and scored 770 (49Q, 47V). I had a 3.1 GPA from a top 30 national university, with a double major in Economics and Spanish. I was an honors graduate in Economics (3.5+ GPA in major, defended a senior thesis). I have two years experience in a financial consulting firm, and have received multiple promotions in that time.

I originally planned to apply to part time programs in the Washington, DC area (Georgetown, Maryland, GW) beginning classes in Fall 2010. After scoring well on the GMAT, I decided to take a shot at some Top 10 business schools (HBS, Wharton, Sloan).

Do these schools represent a reasonable goal? Where would I stack up against other applicants to these schools?

Thank you,
DLI

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:27 am
Dear DLI,

Congratulations on your GMAT score! I think you will be competitive at any school you apply to based on your post. However, it is not enough to have a high GMAT score. You must also have a strong overall application that makes a compelling case for admission, especially if you are applying in the third round. For top 10 schools, your profile is not going to be rare in the applicant pool, but your profile is not going to be a large percentage either. So you still need to use your essays, recommendations and interview to positively set you apart from the competition. I always think it is prudent to apply to at least one safety school as an alternative, and I know many schools in the top 10-30 range would be interested in your profile.

Best of luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

by Amazinggrace » Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:51 pm
Hi Lisa,

I would really appreciate if you can answer this for me.

I have a GPA of 2.95, did my bachelors in business admin (Accounting) and I have about 2.5 years of Accounting/Finance experience. I was working full time during college(so it took me longer than 4 years to graduate)
I haven't taken the GMAT yet, but I want to study hard and make up for my low gpa

DO I have a chance at a top 20 school?
What is the score that I need to get in order to get into a top school?

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:25 pm
Dear Amazinggrace,

Admissions decisions are based on more than a GMAT and GPA, so a top 20 is not out of reach for you because you have a 2.95. Decisions are made on those items plus the quality of your work experience, leadership potential and your rationale for getting a MBA. For further insight into the admissions process, you might look at some of the other posts in this forum on profile evaluations. As for your GMAT score, the higher the score, the more competitive you will be at any school. I think you will have a shot, in terms of GMAT/GPA, at the top 30 schools if you score over a 650.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

Help!! What should I do??

by nickbailey » Sat Feb 07, 2009 8:50 am
Dear anyone,

I am 21 years old and I am about to get my undergrad in Architecture from The University of Louisiana at Lafayette with a 3.9 and top of the class. I have taken two maths 100 and 200 level, two engineerings both 300 level, two physics both 200 level, and a 200 level Econ class. I got As in all. I have taken the GRE for grad school and got an 1160 I have not taken the GMAT or the LSAT though. I am starting to think about an MBA and/or a JD. I would love to work for a Wall Street company as a research analyst or an Investment Banker. I feel like a duel degree JD/MBA would give me this chance is that correct? or should I do one or the other? My plan is to take a year to get work experience and take classes in english to help my writing and take french classes.
My question:

1. what job and classes before grad school would give me the best chance of getting into a good program.

2. what school for MBA and/or JD could I get into and would help make me the most competitive in the financial job maket

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Sat Feb 07, 2009 5:31 pm
Dear nickbailey,

To be competitive, it is best to work in a professional capacity on a full-time basis for at least 2 years. In this time, you will want to seek out opportunities to grow as a professional and progress in your career. Simultaneously, you will want to seek leadership opportunities both inside and outside the workplace. So, it is good to get involved with a community organization or in an extracurricular activity. Schools are not as concerned with the job function or industry as much as the quality of your work experience.

In terms of what schools, I would encourage you to visit our sticky on school selection for some tips on identifying schools that might be a good match for you. If you are determined to do a JD/MBA program, that will filter your choices to some degree.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

by nickbailey » Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:04 pm
thank you very much for your advice.

Legendary Member

by ketkoag » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:13 pm
Hi Stacy,
My GPA is 3.75, however my gmat score is 530 coz i was not well on the test day due to some health issues. Is it possible for me to get into boston college or boston university?? Or please tell me how much should be the gmat score for these colleges so that i can write the test again..

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Fri Mar 13, 2009 7:06 am
Dear ketkoag,

Admissions decisions are based on more than a GMAT and GPA. However, schools will want you to meet a certain threshold on those measures to ensure you will succeed academically in the program. Likewise, these measures are important to rankings, so if a school is trying to move up, then they might use one or both of these measures to determine which applicant gets the offer of admission (all other aspects seeming equal). With a 530, you are significantly below the average for both BU and BC. While your GPA does demonstrate success as a student, it is still important to demonstrate your aptitude for business school on the GMAT. I would encourage you to retake the GMAT and try to increase your score to the 600+ range.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me