What GPA/GMAT is needed to get into a top 5 school?

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:11 pm
johnny2011 wrote:Hello Lisa,

I graduated from with a Master's in Applied Statistics at DePaul, with a 3.2 GPA. My undergraduate GPA at Ohio State was not strong (2.4), as I majored in Biology. I took several Business courses at Ohio State, before switching my major.

I have two years sales experience, prior to my Master's program, and two years as a Risk Analyst at a Bank following my Master's. I will be able to produce solid recommendations.

Will my improved GPA in a difficult quantitative discipline be looked upon favorably or is it not high enough to offset my low undergraduate GPA? Also, I would like to know what range of GMAT score I should aim for to receive serious consideration from top 20-30 schools based on my current profile.

Thanks!
Dear johnny2011,

Your improved performance in a quantitative master's program will be an asset to your application and help mitigate your undergraduate record. A strong GMAT will further solidify your aptitude for business school in the eyes of the admissions committee; I would aim for 680+ to be in a competitive range for the top 30. You will also have your essays and recommendations to present your background, so use those to your advantage in making a case for a seat in the class.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Sun Dec 19, 2010 6:15 pm
Apollo13 wrote:Hello,

I have a 3.4 GPA in Marine Biology from a non-prestigious school. Coursework includes A's in Calculus I & II, Physics I & II, etc. I also have a 3.83 GPA for my Master's degree in Finance, also from a non-prestigious school. I have about 5 years of work experience - my work experience after my undergrad was not super impressive (working for a registered investment advisor, got my series 7, etc), but my work experience after my graduate degree includes 3 years of experience in private equity - which is a highly sought after career field for business graduates.

I just took the GMAT and got a 700. Am I in the ballpark to compete for a top 5 or top 10 program? Should I retake the GMAT?

Any assistance you can provide is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

P.S. - I'm female, I volunteer for 2 groups, and hobbies include singing opera, piano, hiking, skiing, and golf.
Dear Apollo13,

I do think you are in the ballpark for a top 10, and would encourage you to have a couple of top 5 programs on your list. Your academic record is strong and you have solid work experience. While your GMAT is just below the average for the top 10, it is close enough that I don't know that a retake is necessary. If you feel you can increase it 20+ points, then it might be worth it, but not if it sacrifices the quality of the rest of your application. Your essays, recommendations and interviews will be just as important and offer you an opportunity to distinguish your application from the competition. Use those components to your advantage.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Apollo13 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:29 am
I'm going to retake it b/c I mismanaged my time on my strongest section. I plan to apply in fall of 2012 so a retake won't hurt the rest of my application.

Thank you very much!

by shanmugavel » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:47 pm
@Stacy, can you please let me know how to calculate a GPA for a top 20 business school. I have a Electronics Major with CGPA of 7.5 out of 10. So, can i assume this as low or convert it to 3.0 for GPA. Please provide an example what are the things they consider or they may consider in converting to GPA.

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:10 pm
Dear shanmugavel,

The conversion from the 10 point to the 4 point scale is not as exact or easy as one would hope. For the most accurate conversion, it is best to use a credentialing service, but these firms do charge a fee. Some schools do offer their own conversion tables also. MBA programs do take into consideration your class rank and how your CGPA fares relative to the rest of your class (1st class v. 2nd class). I would suggest you either leave the CGPA blank so the reviewer will refer to your transcript or pay the credentialing service for the most accurate conversion.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

by shanmugavel » Mon Jan 03, 2011 3:36 pm
Thanks Lisa. can you please let me know what the transcripts will refer. coz. I have no idea of it. I am little unsure with my low CGPA and 5 years of experience and a good GMAT score will it help me in a top tier colleges ?

by shav » Tue Jan 04, 2011 12:55 pm
Dear lisa,
Thank you very much for your support.

I have GPA of 2.25 in my undergrad, major in finance. I have been working for a year in financial services. Now I want to go to a good graduate school but I can't decide wheather to join a MBA school or Masters. Looking at my GPA it is almost impossible to get into good MBA school or even Graduate school.

Could please suggest me how much GMAT score or other necessary documents are needed to get into a MBA or graduate program.

Any feedback will be highly appriciated. Thanks in advance.

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:15 pm
Dear shav,

To overcome a low GPA, you need to demonstrate you have the academic aptitude to handle the rigor of the program you are applying to and provide evidence you will perform better than you have in your undergraduate coursework. If you are planning to apply within the next 2-3 years, the latter point is under even more scrutiny as you are not that far removed from your undergraduate studies. One way to mitigate the GPA and demonstrate aptitude is to score high on the GMAT (680+). You can also make a case through your essays and recommendations, possibly an interview should you have that opportunity.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by purvi.gupta.g » Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:57 am
Hi Stacey!

Your article is very helpful!

I am an Indian Student.
I have 68% in B.Com (Honours) from Lady Shri Ram College for Women, Delhi University. (equivalent to UK 1:1)
(LSR College is amongst the top 5 in India)
My Accountancy marks have been 80% and above throughout. Whereas my finance marks have been a little low at around 60%.

My GMAT 650(Q49,V31) AWA-5.5 :(

I applied to LSE- M.Sc Accounting and Finance; and Finance and Private Equity.

Do I stand a chance?
Thanks a lot!

Regards
Purvi

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:28 pm
Dear Purvi,

There is always a chance. Your ultimate LSE decision will be based on a holistic evaluation of your application--so more than your GMAT and your transcript. If you believe you submitted the strongest application possible, then stay positive and hope for the best!

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

by hiralsanghvi » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:53 pm
Dear Lisa,

I just gave my gmat and got a 630. I have a GPA of 3.6 and have four and half years of work exp. I started as a a graduate engineer and am a senior engineer now. Do you think this will be good to apply in top 10 schools or you suggest i should give my gmat again.

look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely
Hirsan

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:11 am
Dear Hirsan,

To be competitive for a top 10 program, you need to have a GMAT close to or above the school's average. Thus I encourage you to retake the GMAT and focus on the areas where you struggled this time to give yourself the best chance for increasing your score. Ideally, you need to score in the 700's to be in the best competitive position. However, a score above 670 might also put you in a competitive range if the rest of your application is stellar and compelling.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

by asnkewlboy » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:59 pm
Hello!

Age: currently 25, 27 when applying (jan, 2014) , 28 @ matriculation
undergrad: ucsd (aerospace engineering)
undergrad GPA: 3.5/3.7 (cummulative/major)
grad: usc (financial engineering) ; grad GPA (3.7+)
GMAT: 730 (planning to retake to get 750+)
work experience: 24 months when appyling and 33 months @ matriculation (MM investment bank)
community service: 3 yrs (habitat for humanity) when applying and planning to help overseas during summer.
At business school, planning to focus more on investment management.

What are the chances to get an interview at HBS, Wharton, Columbia, and Chicago?
Are there huge disadvantages working at MM i-bank instead of BB when applying to business schools?
Also would the research experience under Finance professor have any impact on application?
Lastly, I am considering to take one more semester to raise my gpa to 3.8. Would it worth time or should I start work earlier with 3.7 and gain more work experience?

Thank you so much for your time!!

GMAT/MBA Expert

by Lisa Anderson » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:51 am
Dear asnkewlboy,

Whether or not you receive an interview invitation will depend on how strong your application is relative to the rest of the pool, particularly applicants with similar education and experience. Thus your essays and recommendations are as important as your GPA, GMAT, and resume. If you submit a strong, overall package, then you should have a good shot at an interview for any school.

There are no advantages or disadvantages to a MM versus BB i-bank. What matters is the quality of experience you have gained during your tenure--have you progressed in responsibility? do you have accomplishments/contributions to note on your resume or write about in an essay? have you built a solid skill set? Research experience with a finance professor will be noted, but will not be as significant as your professional experience. MBA programs are professional programs; therefore your professional experience to date, your professional goals, and how you conduct yourself as a professional are significant factors in the evaluation.

In my humble opinion, I don't think a 3.8 instead of a 3.7 in your master's program will make any significant difference. I do think having more opportunity to build quality work experience and seeking out leadership roles at the bank will make a difference.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant

Learn more about me

GMAT Score:710

by abhi6136 » Mon May 02, 2011 9:25 am
Hey Lisa,

Firstly, Thanks for the awesome work that you are doing through the very useful info in this post. Second, Here's my profile:
GMAT SCORE: 710 || AGE: 27|| GPA: 8.5/10
Pre-Graduation Work Ex: 2 Years - Start Up Company
Post-Graduation Work Ex: 4 Years(till date)- Technical Lead-Tata Consultancy Services Limited (Software Development) and since the last 3 years I am concurrently working as the project manager for a Not-for-Profit Organization in the field for Aids Awareness and control in Rural India.

What schools/ programs can I expect to be admitted to? I am aiming at the top 10-15 B schools.

Thanks in advance!
Abhishek