PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ help me

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

PLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ help me

by golu23 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:37 pm
Hi guys iam constantly getting 350 score in my gmat exam i have appeared 2 times for the exam and the result is the same any suggestions are most welcome could any body please guide to get a score of atleast above 600 i'm plz really desperate.

Followed by:2 members

by Ravish » Sat Jul 09, 2011 9:59 pm
Could you elaborate a bit on how you went about your preparation when you took the test the past 2 times i.e. Total preparation time, materials used, how many practice tests , your scores on the tests etc.
Organizer 'The GMAT and MBA bay area meetup group'

Looking for a study group in the bay area? Join us at https://www.meetup.com/gmat-32/

by golu23 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:44 pm
Ravsh bro i used GMAT official guide,manhattan gmat sentence correction guide book,and i've been preparing for it since 6-8 months my score was 22 in quant and 17 in verbal.I got 4/6 in AWA. God knows where i'm going wrong yaar.

by golu23 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 10:49 pm
Speaking abt tests i gave only 2 tests and my score was 360 on tests but i did not gave'em seriously thought it was not necessary but i'm wrong i guess

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Sun Jul 10, 2011 5:24 am
I'm not sure how you are currently studying, but I think it's important for students to stay focused. In other words, avoid "topic jumping" where you study SC questions for an hour, then AWA for 20 minutes, then geometry, then statistics etc.

So, for example, when studying for the math section, you should stay with one concept at a time until you have examined that concept from every conceivable angle.

To be more specific, once you have studied the basic concepts related to a topic such as exponents, examine every OG12 exponent question, plus any other exponent questions you can find (there are other official resources, plus no shortage of questions on this site). Take your time with this, and always review the solutions until they make sense. This is, by far, the best way to master content.

There are resources out there that have categorized the OG12 questions as well as the Quant-only OG. For example, BTG's 60-day Study Guide does this (https://www.beatthegmat.com/mba/gmat-guide), and I have categorized the questions in my own Learning Guide: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/learning-guide/part-1

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

by golu23 » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:54 pm
Thnx brent thnx a lot for ur advice and wht can i do for the verbal section any suggestions bcoz my verbal is very strong still i'm gettting only 17 q's correct.

by ArpanaAmishi » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:35 am
golu23 wrote:Thnx brent thnx a lot for ur advice and wht can i do for the verbal section any suggestions bcoz my verbal is very strong still i'm gettting only 17 q's correct.
if verbal is strong then you would not get this much :-) - joke a part....I would suggest you should start taking notes on errors and a proper thought process would be helpful

by golu23 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 8:39 am
notes on wht if i dont know where i'm going wrong yaar
i just dont know where i'm going wrong in reading,or reasoning or sentence correction

Followed by:2 members

by Ravish » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:53 am
golu23 wrote:notes on wht if i dont know where i'm going wrong yaar
i just dont know where i'm going wrong in reading,or reasoning or sentence correction
With a score of 17, it's all 3 of them. I would strongly suggest picking up all 8 Manhattan guides and studying those while using the OG as a gauge of your progress.

Moreover, pay attention to your test scores. If you were aiming for a 600 and took 4-5 tests, scoring 570-ish in all, it would be acceptable to feel that you are ready to take the GMAT. However, ignoring a score that is 250 points below what you were aiming for is GMAT suicide and you should not be surprised that you scored similarly on the actual test.

So again, buy all 8 Manhattan guides, spend about 2 months going through each of them in detail and be sure to take the Manhattan practice tests (you get access to 6 of them via the purchase of even a single book). Manhattan provides you with the best post-test breakdown charts among any of the prep companies and you should use those as a gauge of the areas you are struggling in. If you don't want to purchase all 8 guides, the number properties and world translations 'Manhattan guides' are pretty much essential if you want to boost your Quant score. The other 3 quant guides, you can ignore as you are aiming for a 600 and these 2 guides contain material for around 80% of the total quant topics tested on the GMAT. For verbal, you'l need all 3 guides.
Organizer 'The GMAT and MBA bay area meetup group'

Looking for a study group in the bay area? Join us at https://www.meetup.com/gmat-32/

by golu23 » Mon Jul 11, 2011 5:27 pm
Thnx ravish i already have those 8 books and i'll start using them today itself.
:)

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by ldiffen » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:53 pm
get all 8 books published by manhattan gmat. just the one on sentence correction is not enough. do many problems posted here and time yourself.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:18 members

by FutureWorks » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:30 am
golu23 wrote:Hi guys iam constantly getting 350 score in my gmat exam i have appeared 2 times for the exam and the result is the same any suggestions are most welcome could any body please guide to get a score of atleast above 600 i'm plz really desperate.

Firstly we would say that stay positive and such anxieties are common during exam preparation time. Juggling between work and studies is tough so you need to define a significant time for your GMAT preparation. Sometimes taking few days off work for preparing for the GMAT can help a person tremendously. If you have time this may not be a bad idea.

Take practise GMAT tests to see how you are doing. If you cannot do that don't worry. What might work instead is to set aside 1-2 hours at night on weekdays and major part of your weekend to study and prepare for GMAT- in this case we will suggest a good 2-3 months preparation. However we recommend you to keep taking practise tests to gauge your performance. It will help you in identifying your weak areas and you can focus on them accordingly.

There are various ways you can use to practise for your GMAT. You might need to change your practise style and try this combination to provide you flexibility and different styles to practise so it doesn't get monotonous.

It could be combination of-

1-Books- Books like- The Official Guide for GMAT Review, The Official Guide for GMAT Verbal Review, The Official Guide for GMAT Quantitative Review etc could be used.

2-Online Study Guide: Websites like Knewton, Grockit etc provide you with practise questions online.

3-Smart phone applications- Kaplan, Veritas etc offer applications to prepare for GMAT on your smart phones.

Do let us know if there is anything in particular we can help you with, mail us here [email protected]