SC 1000 #163

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

SC 1000 #163

by ankanas » Wed Aug 22, 2007 3:49 am
Because Halley’s comet changes orbit slightly during the seventy-six-year interval between passing close to Earth, it may veer onto a collision course with a planet sometime in the distant future.
(A) between passing
(B) of passing
(C) between its passes
(D) of its passes
(E) as it passes

The answer is C.

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Re: SC 1000 #163

by veekay » Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:35 pm
ankanas wrote:Because Halley’s comet changes orbit slightly during the seventy-six-year interval between passing close to Earth, it may veer onto a collision course with a planet sometime in the distant future.
(A) between passing
(B) of passing
(C) between its passes
(D) of its passes
(E) as it passes

The answer is C.
I have seen this earlier. Here is the response of Stacy Koprince from some other forum

This source is a poor source from which to study. Some non-native English speakers based out of somewhere in Asia basically pirated a bunch of questions from old paper-based GMATs but the questions are filled with typos and errors, often to the point that none of the answer choices is good or the question has been garbled so that it is no longer sufficiently GMAT-like. If you want to study from old paper-based GMAT tests, at least go buy clean copies from mba.com. (Though, really, those are so old that I don't recommend them as a good source for study, either.)

This one is an example of one in which all of the choices are poor. Something got lost in translation here.

We do need "between" because we're talking about an interval. An interval is between two things (or, in this case, between two passes). So that eliminates B, D, and E

Is C perhaps supposed to say "between its passes"? Below, it says "between it passes" and that's obviously not right. If it is supposed to say "between its passes" then I guess that's the closest thing to a right answer, but - really - I wouldn't even study this one. It's not sufficiently GMAT-like.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

I don't get you????

by Treeram » Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:05 pm
Option C infact says between its passed. What is the point you are drving at???? :?:
When the going gets tough, the tough gets going

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by msongmat » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:07 am
Hi all.. I do feel that option C is incorrect as "between X and Y" is an idiom which is missing here.

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by niraj_a » Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:19 am
agreed with Stacey - dump 1000 sets

@ankanas - use the spoiler man!

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Re: SC 1000 #163

by mastbombay » Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:30 am
Well I have gone thru all the replies and would like to say that I did not found any ambiguity in the question or its structure........

Halley's comet passes close to earth every 76 years.

lets suppose it passed in 1900 , again it passed in 1976.

Now these two are its passes lets say A and B.

Halley's comet changes orbit slightly during this interval.

someone rightly said that interval is between two timeframes.
so interval is between A and B. or interval is between its passes

I think option C is perfect....

Please correct me if I am wrong
veekay wrote:
ankanas wrote:Because Halley’s comet changes orbit slightly during the seventy-six-year interval between passing close to Earth, it may veer onto a collision course with a planet sometime in the distant future.
(A) between passing
(B) of passing
(C) between its passes
(D) of its passes
(E) as it passes

The answer is C.
I have seen this earlier. Here is the response of Stacy Koprince from some other forum

This source is a poor source from which to study. Some non-native English speakers based out of somewhere in Asia basically pirated a bunch of questions from old paper-based GMATs but the questions are filled with typos and errors, often to the point that none of the answer choices is good or the question has been garbled so that it is no longer sufficiently GMAT-like. If you want to study from old paper-based GMAT tests, at least go buy clean copies from mba.com. (Though, really, those are so old that I don't recommend them as a good source for study, either.)

This one is an example of one in which all of the choices are poor. Something got lost in translation here.

We do need "between" because we're talking about an interval. An interval is between two things (or, in this case, between two passes). So that eliminates B, D, and E

Is C perhaps supposed to say "between its passes"? Below, it says "between it passes" and that's obviously not right. If it is supposed to say "between its passes" then I guess that's the closest thing to a right answer, but - really - I wouldn't even study this one. It's not sufficiently GMAT-like.

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by [email protected] » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:44 am
Thanks mastbombay for a wonderful wonderful explanation!!!!
IT IS TIME TO BEAT THE GMAT

LEARNING, APPLICATION AND TIMING IS THE FACT OF GMAT AND LIFE AS WELL... KEEP PLAYING!!!

Whenever you feel that my post really helped you to learn something new, please press on the 'THANK' button.