00:00

Your Answer

A

B

C

D

E

Global Stats

There are 68 children in the cafeteria of a school and all of the children have something for lunch. Thirty-four of the children brought lunches from home, 23 of the children bought a drink from the cafeteria beverage machine, and 32 of the children bought fruit in the cafeteria. If 18 children did at least 2 of these things, how many children did exactly two of these things?

(A) 3
(B) 6
(C) 9
(D) 13
(E) 15

The OA is the option E.

I got confused here. How can I solve this PS question? Could someone give me some help? Please.

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790
One formula for 3 overlapping groups:

T = Group 1 + Group 2 + Group 3 - (exactly 2 groups) - 2(all 3 groups)

The big idea with overlapping group problems is to SUBTRACT THE OVERLAPS.
When we add together everyone in the three groups:
Those in exactly 2 of groups are counted twice, so they need to be subtracted from the total ONCE.
Those in all 3 groups are counted 3 times, so they need to be subtracted from the total TWICE.
By subtracting the overlaps, we ensure that no one is overcounted.
VJesus12 wrote:There are 68 children in the cafeteria of a school and all of the children have something for lunch. Thirty-four of the children brought lunches from home, 23 of the children bought a drink from the cafeteria beverage machine, and 32 of the children bought fruit in the cafeteria. If 18 children did at least 2 of these things, how many children did exactly two of these things?

(A) 3
(B) 6
(C) 9
(D) 13
(E) 15
In the problem above:
Group 1 = Lunch = 34.
Group 2 = Drink = 23.
Group 3 = Fruit = 32.
Plugging these values in the formula above, we get:
T = 34 + 23 + 32 - (exactly 2) - 2(all 3)
T = 89 - (exactly 2) - 2(all 3)

We can PLUG IN THE ANSWERS, which represent the number of children who did exactly 2 of the 3 things.
When the correct answer is plugged in, T = 68.

B: Exactly 2 things = 6, implying that all 3 things = 12, for a total of 18 students who did at least 2 of the 3 things
In this case:
T = 89 - 6 - 2(12) = 59.
The value of T is too small.
Eliminate B.

D: Exactly 2 things = 13, implying that all 3 things = 15, for a total of 18 students who did at least 2 of the 3 things
In this case:
T = 89 - 13 - 2(5) = 66.
The value of T is still too small.
Eliminate D.

The results above indicate the following:
The greater the answer choice, the greater the value of T.
Thus:
For the value of T to increase from 66 to 68, a greater answer choice is needed

The correct answer is E.

E: Exactly 2 things = 15, implying that all 3 things = 3, for a total of 18 students who did at least 2 of the 3 things
In this case:
T = 89 - 15 - 2(3) = 68.
Success!

Check here for another problem about triple-overlapping groups:

https://www.beatthegmat.com/og-13-178-v ... 11188.html
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Mon Apr 29, 2019 8:12 am
VJesus12 wrote:There are 68 children in the cafeteria of a school and all of the children have something for lunch. Thirty-four of the children brought lunches from home, 23 of the children bought a drink from the cafeteria beverage machine, and 32 of the children bought fruit in the cafeteria. If 18 children did at least 2 of these things, how many children did exactly two of these things?

(A) 3
(B) 6
(C) 9
(D) 13
(E) 15

The OA is the option E.

I got confused here. How can I solve this PS question? Could someone give me some help? Please.
We can use the following formula:

Total = n(L) + n(D) + n(F) - n(exactly two) - 2 * n(all three) + n(none)

68 = 34 + 23 + 32 - x - 2 * (18 - x) + 0 [Note: n(all three) = n(at least two) - n(exactly two)]

68 = 89 - x - 36 + 2x

68 = 53 + x

x = 15

Answer: E

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage