Weaken CR -----GMATPrep

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:5 members

Weaken CR -----GMATPrep

by Mo2men » Wed Nov 15, 2017 2:29 pm
Some species of Arctic birds are threatened by recent sharp increase in the population of snow geese, which breed in the Arctic and are displacing birds of less vigorous species. Although snow geese are a popular quarry for hunters in the southern regions where they winter, the hunting season ends if and when hunting has reduces the population by five percent, according to official estimates. Clearly, dropping this restiction would allow the other species to recover.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously undermines the argument?

a) Hunting limits for snow geese were imposed many years ago in respose to a sharp decline in the population of snow geese.

b) It has been many years since the restriction lead to the hunting season for snow geese being closed earlier than the scheduled date.

c) The number of snow geese taken by hunters each year has grown every year for several years.

d) As their population has increased, snow geese have recolonized wintering grounds that they had not used for several seasons.

e) In the snow goose's winter habitats, the goose faces no significant natural predation.

OA: B

Dear Mitch,
In OA, I understood that the hunter stopped early as they reached the max percentage restricted by the law.i.e. they were fast in the hunting process before the schedalued date.
Whats is the scheduled date means here?
Where is the problem in my understanding of OA?
How does OA weaken the argument ?

Can you please help

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

Weaken CR -----GMATPrep

by GMATGuruNY » Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:25 am
Mo2men wrote:Some species of Arctic birds are threatened by recent sharp increase in the population of snow geese, which breed in the Arctic and are displacing birds of less vigorous species. Although snow geese are a popular quarry for hunters in the southern regions where they winter, the hunting season ends if and when hunting has reduces the population by five percent, according to official estimates. Clearly, dropping this restiction would allow the other species to recover.

Which of the following, if true, most seriously undermines the argument?

a) Hunting limits for snow geese were imposed many years ago in respose to a sharp decline in the population of snow geese.

b) It has been many years since the restriction lead to the hunting season for snow geese being closed earlier than the scheduled date.

c) The number of snow geese taken by hunters each year has grown every year for several years.

d) As their population has increased, snow geese have recolonized wintering grounds that they had not used for several seasons.

e) In the snow goose's winter habitats, the goose faces no significant natural predation.
Plan: Drop the restriction that the hunting of snow geese must end when the population has been reduced by five percent.
Conclusion: Species of birds threatened by the snow geese will be allowed to recover.

To weaken the conclusion, the correct answer must show that dropping the restriction will NOT allow the threatened bird species to recover.

B: It has been many years since the restriction led to the hunting season for snow geese being closed earlier than the scheduled date.
In other words:
Over the past twenty years, hunting season has never ended early because of the restriction.
Implication:
Hunters never succeed in reducing the population of snow geese by five percent; as a result, the restriction that would end hunting season early is never put into effect.
Since the restriction is never put into effect, dropping it will do nothing to help the threatened bird species, WEAKENING the conclusion that the threatened bird species will be allowed to recover.

The correct answer is B.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3