Appointed to the position in 1950

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:2 members

Appointed to the position in 1950

by NandishSS » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:12 am
Appointed to the position in 1950 by Harry S. Truman, Edith Sampson became the first African American woman to be named an official representative to the United Nations.

1) Appointed to the position in 1950 by Harry S. Truman, Edith Sampson became the first African American woman to be named an official representative to the United Nations.

2) In Edith Sampson, Harry S. Truman appointed the first African American woman to be named an official representative to the United Nations in 1950.

3) Harry S. Truman appointed Edith Sampson, in 1950, to the position as the first African American woman official representative to the United Nations.

4) The first African American woman to be named an official representative to the United Nations, Harry S. Truman appointed Edith Sampson to the position in 1950.

5) Appointed by Harry S. Truman in 1950 as the first African American woman to be named an official representative to the United Nations was Edith Sampson.

OA:A

Source: GMATPrep EP2

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:26 am
NandishSS wrote:Appointed to the position in 1950 by Harry S. Truman, Edith Sampson became the first African American woman to be named an official representative to the United Nations.

1) Appointed to the position in 1950 by Harry S. Truman, Edith Sampson became the first African American woman to be named an official representative to the United Nations.

2) In Edith Sampson, Harry S. Truman appointed the first African American woman to be named an official representative to the United Nations in 1950.

3) Harry S. Truman appointed Edith Sampson, in 1950, to the position as the first African American woman official representative to the United Nations.

4) The first African American woman to be named an official representative to the United Nations, Harry S. Truman appointed Edith Sampson to the position in 1950.

5) Appointed by Harry S. Truman in 1950 as the first African American woman to be named an official representative to the United Nations was Edith Sampson.
Generally, an introductory prepositional phrase is an ADVERB serving to modify the verb in the following clause.
B: In Edith Sampson, Harry S. Truman appointed
Conveyed meaning:
WHERE did Harry S. Truman appoint?
He appointed IN EDITH SAMPSON.

This meaning is nonsensical.
Eliminate B.

C: the position as the first African American woman official representative to the United Nations
This wording seems to imply that the portion in red constitutes an essential component of the position.
Not the intended meaning:
the position = official representative to the United Nations.
Neither being first nor being an African American woman is an essential component of this position.
Eliminate C.

D: The first African American woman to be named an official representative to the United Nations, Harry S. Truman
Here, the modifier in red seems to refer to Harry. S. Truman, implying that HARRY S. TRUMAN was THE FIRST AFRICAN AMERICAN WOMAN TO BE NAMED AN OFFICIAL REPRESENTATIVE.
This meaning is nonsensical.
Eliminate D.

E: Appointed...as the first African American woman to be named
Here, appointed and to be named are redundant.
Eliminate E.

The correct answer is A.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by mimamo001 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 5:54 am
Hi,

Is "appointed to the position as something" a valid construction? I know that "appointed" must go directly with "something" ie. Trump was appointed President of the U.S.

Thanks,

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:21 pm
mimamo001 wrote:Hi,

Is "appointed to the position as something" a valid construction? I know that "appointed" must go directly with "something" ie. Trump was appointed President of the U.S.

Thanks,
Incorrect: X was appointed as Y.
Incorrect: X was appointed to be Y.
Correct: X was appointed Y.

An OA in GMATPrep:
Eleanor Roosevelt was appointed a delegate to the United Nations General Assembly by President Harry S Truman.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3