New to GMAT - HELP NEEDED

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

New to GMAT - HELP NEEDED

by akshay_gooner » Mon May 09, 2016 12:10 am
Hello everyone,

I am new to this website , I would be grateful anyone if he/she could help me with my GMAT prep .

thanks

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon May 09, 2016 10:02 am
Hi akshay_gooner,

It's not clear whether you're just beginning your studies or not. If you are, then it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test; you can download 2 for free from www.mba.com (and they come with some additional practice materials). If you want to do a little studying first, so that you can familiarize yourself with the basic content and question types, then that's okay - but you shouldn't wait too long to take that initial CAT. That score will give us a good sense of your natural strengths and weaknesses and will help provide a basis for comparison as you continue to study. A FULL CAT takes about 4 hours to complete, so make sure that you've set aside enough time to take it in one sitting. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

I'd like to know a bit more about your timeline and goals:
1) What is your goal score?
2) When are you planning to take the GMAT?
3) When are you planning to apply to Business School?

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:22 members

by Jeff@TargetTestPrep » Mon May 09, 2016 10:32 am
akshay_gooner wrote:Hello everyone,

I am new to this website , I would be grateful anyone if he/she could help me with my GMAT prep .

thanks
Hi Akshay,

I would be happy to help. As already asked, can you provide us with some more background on your GMAT experience and goals? I agree that you should take a full length practice exam to get a baseline score.

Once we have some further information, we can provide more detailed advice.

Jeffrey Miller
Head of GMAT Instruction
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by akshay_gooner » Mon May 09, 2016 10:37 am
hey, thanks for replying to my post .

I have been doing the Quant section from the official guide , i think there are ideally 230 , i had attempted 100 and got 5 wrong . Just wanted to know if they ask similar types of questions.

And i tried some of the verbal questions and my accuracy is kind of average . I know i have to do a lot of work in the Verbal section. Just don't know the right way to move forward.

I am targeting a score of over 700 and i have almost 3 months in hand . And i have apply to the B-school before oct-15

thanks

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:770

by OptimusPrep » Mon May 09, 2016 4:55 pm
akshay_gooner wrote:Hello everyone,

thanks
Hi akshay_gooner,

You need to build the concepts/fundamentals before you jump in solving the problems. You can do so by choosing one of the following ways:

1. In person classes/private tutoring
2. Online classes
3. Self paced online preparatory course
4. Book heavy approach

Whatever you choose, make sure that you choose one. Because GMAT tests you on some concepts and fundamentals that you can learn from a course. Most of the preparatory companies including ours offer a free trial of our course. You can take the trial and see if the course suits your needs.
In addition to the preparatory material, buy the Official Guides(both the Official Guide and the Verbal Review), Question Pack 1 and the 4 official mock CATs. They should be an indispensable part of your preparation.

You need close to 3 months to prepare well for the GMAT.

1. Understand the concepts and fundamentals before jumping into problem solving
2. Solve full length CATs including AWA and IR. You can get two free GMAT Prep mock CATs and can purchase two more from mba.com
3. Make sure you solve the official questions from the Official Guide

Since you have been studying for a while now, it would be a god time to take a Full length mock CAT and see your current standing.

GMAT/MBA Expert

Elite Legendary Member
Followed by:511 members
GMAT Score:800

by [email protected] » Mon May 09, 2016 9:25 pm
Hi akshay_gooner,

Since you've done some practice questions and become a bit familiar with the content, it would be a good idea to take a FULL-LENGTH practice CAT Test. Make sure to take the FULL CAT (with the Essay and IR sections) and do so in a realistic fashion. Once you have those scores, you should report back here and we can come up with a study plan.

GMAT assassins aren't born, they're made,
Rich
Contact Rich at [email protected]