Expert Advice needed

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:650

Expert Advice needed

by akash singhal » Fri Oct 16, 2015 2:59 am
Researchers in Germany have unearthed 400,000-year-old wooden spears from what it appears
was an ancient lakeshore hunting ground as stunning evidence of human ancestors who

systematically hunted big game much earlier than believed.

A. it appears was an ancient lakeshore hunting ground as stunning evidence of human ancestors who
B. it appears had been an ancient lakeshore hunting ground and stunning evidence that human
ancestors
C. appears was an ancient lakeshore hunting ground and is stunning evidence that human ancestors
D. appears to be an ancient lakeshore hunting ground, stunning evidence that human ancestors
E. appears that it is an ancient lakeshore hunting ground, stunning evidence of human ancestors who

OE D
Please explain...

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:42 am
akash singhal wrote:Researchers in Germany have unearthed 400,000-year-old wooden spears from what it appears was an ancient lakeshore hunting ground as stunning evidence of human ancestors who systematically hunted big game much earlier than believed.

A. it appears was an ancient lakeshore hunting ground as stunning evidence of human ancestors who
B. it appears had been an ancient lakeshore hunting ground and stunning evidence that human
ancestors
C. appears was an ancient lakeshore hunting ground and is stunning evidence that human ancestors
D. appears to be an ancient lakeshore hunting ground, stunning evidence that human ancestors
E. appears that it is an ancient lakeshore hunting ground, stunning evidence of human ancestors who
A and C: was an ancient lakeshore hunting ground
B: had been an ancient lakeshore hunting ground
In these options, the usage of the past tense implies that the hunting ground WAS or HAD BEEN ancient IN THE TIME OF OUR ANCESTORS.
Not the intended meaning.
Only NOW is the hunting ground considered ANCIENT.
To our ancestors 400,000 years ago -- who USED the hunting ground -- the hunting ground was NOT ancient.
Eliminate A, B and C.

E: stunning evidence of human ancestors
Here, the implication is that the hunting ground is evidence of HUMAN ANCESTORS.
The intended meaning is that the hunting ground is evidence not of the ancestors themselves but of what human ancestors DID: that they systemically HUNTED big game.
Eliminate E.

The correct answer is D.
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by manik11 » Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:05 am
GMATGuruNY wrote:
akash singhal wrote:Researchers in Germany have unearthed 400,000-year-old wooden spears from what it appears was an ancient lakeshore hunting ground as stunning evidence of human ancestors who systematically hunted big game much earlier than believed.

ancestors
A and C: was an ancient lakeshore hunting ground
B: had been an ancient lakeshore hunting ground
In these options, the usage of the past tense implies that the hunting ground WAS or HAD BEEN ancient IN THE TIME OF OUR ANCESTORS.
Only NOW is the hunting ground considered ANCIENT.
To our ancestors 400,000 years ago -- who USED the hunting ground -- the hunting ground was NOT ancient.
Eliminate A, B and C.

E: stunning evidence of human ancestors
Here, the implication is that the hunting ground is evidence of HUMAN ANCESTORS.
The intended meaning is that the hunting ground is evidence not of the ancestors themselves but of what human ancestors DID: that they systemically HUNTED big game.
Eliminate E.

The correct answer is D.
Hi Mitch,
Can we also eliminate the answer choices A,B,C, and E based on the incorrect usage of idiom "appears to be.."?

Thanks
Manik

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1906 members
GMAT Score:790

by GMATGuruNY » Tue Oct 20, 2015 5:22 am
manik11 wrote: Can we also eliminate the answer choices A,B,C, and E based on the incorrect usage of idiom "appears to be.."?
Yes.
Correct idioms:
X appears to be Y.
X appears to have been Y.

For an official SC with the latter idiom, check here:
https://www.beatthegmat.com/sc-question- ... 72822.html
Private tutor exclusively for the GMAT and GRE, with over 20 years of experience.
Followed here and elsewhere by over 1900 test-takers.
I have worked with students based in the US, Australia, Taiwan, China, Tajikistan, Kuwait, Saudi Arabia -- a long list of countries.
My students have been admitted to HBS, CBS, Tuck, Yale, Stern, Fuqua -- a long list of top programs.

As a tutor, I don't simply teach you how I would approach problems.
I unlock the best way for YOU to solve problems.

For more information, please email me (Mitch Hunt) at [email protected].
Student Review #1
Student Review #2
Student Review #3

by thang » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:52 pm
in this context,
evidence +that clause
is logic
and evidence of ancestor
is not logic

in other context, for example

evidence of his existance

is also logic.
looking for the girl living in Bradford UK, visiting Halong bay, Vietnam on 26- 27 Jan 2014. all persons, pls, forward this message to all persons you know to help me find her: my email: [email protected], call: 84904812758