1000 CR testI no.5

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

1000 CR testI no.5

by magical cook » Fri Mar 23, 2007 1:32 pm
Hi,

The answer is D) but I thought the answer should be either B or C... In D, it says had no mistakes "uncovered" by... dose it mean there might have been mistakes but just was not uncovered?

The people who are least likely to be audited by the Internal Revenue Service this year are those who have been audited since 1985 and who were found to have made no mistakes in filing their returns during that audit.

Of the following people, who is MOST likely to be audited by the IRS?

(A) A person who was audited in 1986 but was not found to have made any mistakes in filing his return.
(B) A person who was audited in 1986 and whose lawyer corrected several mistakes in the tax return prior to the filing deadline.
(C) A person whose spouse was convicted of tax fraud in 1987, who was then audited and found to have made no mistakes.
(D) A person who was last audited in 1984, and had no mistakes uncovered by the IRS during that audit.
(E) A person who was audited in each of the past five years, but was found to have made no mistakes in any of the filings.

by rajesh_ctm » Fri Mar 23, 2007 3:34 pm
As long as IRS has audited and found no mistakes, it doesn't matter whether mistakes were "absent" or "present but uncovered". It is correct in the eyes of IRS.

Anyway, in such questions, it is very important to stick to the facts given.

B - Irrespective of how many mistakes were corrected before filing, the final version submitted could be free of mistakes.
C - Spouse's mistake or no mistake - Out of Scope. Nothing is mentioned about spouse in the text.

by magical cook » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:16 pm
thanks rajesh,

one question - so answer D) implies there might have been mistakes but just IRS failed to or did not find??

If so, it perfectly makes sense why D is the answer.

Thanks!

by rajesh_ctm » Fri Mar 23, 2007 6:42 pm
I made a mistake in reading C in my earlier reply. I misread that the person's spouse was only audited, not the person himself. But actually it says the spouse was convicted and the person was audited. So it is not out of scope. But still the person was audited in 1987 so he is not likely to be audited again.

(D) A person who was last audited in 1984, and had no mistakes uncovered by the IRS during that audit.

Note the condition in question:
The people who are least likely to be audited by the Internal Revenue Service this year are those who have been audited since 1985 and who were found to have made no mistakes in filing their returns during that audit.

Since this person was last audited in 1984, he falls in the "likely" group.

All others have been audited at least once since 1985 so they are out of the "likely" group.

Don't bother about whether actual mistakes are present or not. All others are simply out of the suspect group so they are wrong.

by magical cook » Fri Mar 23, 2007 7:16 pm
Oh okay - yes it actually says since 1985....so only D) is in the likely group.

Thanks for the explanation! :D

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by slashwin » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:50 am
Can you please provide the answer explanations to Questions 1,8,14 and 18. These are the questions i did not answer correctly. I have tried to reason most of the the correct answers myself.

But Q 14. Answer A seems more correct because if the drought was not that severe, then orange prices would not go up, thus not affecting the orange juice price.
In B) Even though other states provide oranges to juice manufacturers, some will be provided by ones in Florida, leading to the rise in prices by a certain amount, if not 3X.

Confused. Please explain.

Legendary Member
Followed by:26 members

by mundasingh123 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 10:40 am
What a Bad Question
I Seek Explanations Not Answers

by sl750 » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:01 pm
In choice C, who is modifying the year 1987 and not the spouse or the person.

By the way, is this an inference question? Seems very unlike a GMAT question