1000 CR question TESTB - No1

This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

1000 CR question TESTB - No1

by magical cook » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:54 pm
Hi,

The answer is D but from the passage I thougt the answer must be A)... Is anyone able to explain why A is not good enough to be correct one??

Thanks!

Below is an excerpt from a letter that was sent by the chairman of a corporation to the stockholders.
A number of charges have been raised against me, some serious, some trivial. Individuals seeking to control the corporation for their own purposes have demanded my resignation. Remember that no court of law in any state has found me guilty of any criminal offense whatsoever. In the American tradition, as you know, an individual is considered innocent until proven guilty. Furthermore, as the corporation’s unbroken six-year record of growth will show, my conduct of my official duties as chairman has only helped enhance the success of the corporation, and so benefited every stockholder.

Which of the following can be properly inferred from the excerpt?

(A) The chairman believes that all those who have demanded his resignation are motivated by desire to control the corporation for their own purposes.

(B) Any misdeeds that the chairman may have committed were motivated by his desire to enhance the success of the corporation.

(C) The chairman is innocent of any criminal offense.

(D) The corporation has expanded steadily over the past six years.

(E) Any legal proceedings against the chairman have resulted in his acquittal

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:35 pm
(A) The chairman believes..... believes cant be inferred.

(B) & (E) just throw them away

(C) The chairman is innocent .... this is what chairman thinks. The cases are runing in the court and he may found guilty later...

Seem to be the only firm statement that can safely be inferred. "...as the corporation’s unbroken six-year record of growth will show..." supports as well.

Legendary Member
Followed by:2 members

by Cybermusings » Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:39 am
Which of the following can be properly inferred from the excerpt?

(A) The chairman believes that all those who have demanded his resignation are motivated by desire to control the corporation for their own purposes.

(B) Any misdeeds that the chairman may have committed were motivated by his desire to enhance the success of the corporation.

(C) The chairman is innocent of any criminal offense.

(E) Any legal proceedings against the chairman have resulted in his acquittal

A is wrong because the "chairman believes" reasoning is faulty. All we can infer from the passage is that the Chairman is trying to prove himself innocent and not that he is actually innocent.

B is wrong because it tries to establish a link between performance of the company and the misdeeds of the Chairman. A very weak link

C is too far fetched and outside the scope

E "any legal proceedings" is too broad again. All we can infer is that the Chairman has been proven innocent in "criminal offence" cases and not any legal proceedings

D fits the bill

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by graem83d » Tue May 03, 2016 3:37 am
I like explanation on D.