SC

This topic has expert replies
Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts
Followed by:1 members

SC

by Soumita » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:11 pm
Legislation in the Canadian province of Ontario requires of both public and private employers that pay be the same for jobs historically held by women as for jobs requiring comparable skill that are usually held by men.

(A) that pay be the same for jobs historically held by women as for jobs requiring comparable skill that are
(B) that pay for jobs historically held by women should be the same as for a job requiring comparable skills
(C) to pay the same in jobs historically held by women as in jobs of comparable skill that are
(D) to pay the same regardless of whether a job was historically held by women or is one demanding comparable skills
(E) to pay as much for jobs historically held by women as for a job demanding comparable skills

can anyone explain me why D is incorrect?

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:3 members

by aman88 » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:36 pm
IMO A

A is concise, uses the subjunctive mood properly and is not wordy like choice D.

Let me know the OA.
Thanks.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:6 members

by The Iceman » Wed Dec 26, 2012 10:48 pm
In addition to what Aman said, D also has wrong parallel construction.

Moreover, in this context "pay for" is the right idiom and not "pay in" as used in option C.

by Sam_hellboy » Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:18 am
Can any1 pls explain why the ans can not be E? what is the error?

by Sapana » Thu Dec 27, 2012 11:47 am
Sam_hellboy wrote:Can any1 pls explain why the ans can not be E? what is the error?
I see comparison error... to pay as much for jobs........as for a job!! hope that helps to eliminate choice E.

by Soumita » Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:13 pm
OA is A.

Thanks everyone for discussing about this topic!!

So Aman I need to eliminate D as it is too wordy.I cannot able to find wordy sentences from choices in sentence correction in order to eliminate. can anyone kindly let me know the trick to find the wordy sentences from the choices.

Iceman you told that in D there is wrong parallel construction. can you please explain how D is wrong parallel construction. I am not able to find any wrong parallel construction in D choices.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Legendary Member
Followed by:32 members
GMAT Score:760

by avik.ch » Thu Dec 27, 2012 9:51 pm
Soumita wrote:OA is A.

Thanks everyone for discussing about this topic!!

So Aman I need to eliminate D as it is too wordy.I cannot able to find wordy sentences from choices in sentence correction in order to eliminate. can anyone kindly let me know the trick to find the wordy sentences from the choices.
the main problem with D....

some bossy verb take both "to" and "that" construction - "require" is one of them.

when we use "that" --- the structure is :
.... bossy verb + that + subject ...
when we use "to" --- the structure is :
.... bossy verb + noun( object of the verb) + to

..... require him to be here. --- here "him" is the object of the verb "require"
..... require that he be here. --- here we are using the subject form "he" with a noun clause acting as a object for the verb "require".

here,

require + "of...." --- there is no object for the verb here - so the second ( "to") construction do not work here. Eliminate C,D and E.

Hope this helps !!