Question on guessing strategy...

This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Question on guessing strategy...

by desimonk » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:00 am
Hi,

I took the GMAT Prep test yesterday and got a 44 on the quantitative section. However, I ended up with 18 incorrect answers. That was surprising. I ended up not having enough time to even read the last 5 questions so I guessed randomly.

I ran the clock on a couple of questions (somewhere between questions 8 and 15) in the middle and hence the lack of tiem at the end of the test. As far as guessing goes, would it have been better to have guessed on those questions in the middle, and left enough time to do the questions at the end? Or was it correct to have spent time on those two questions in the middle of the test (since they were probably at a higher difficulty level)? I'm doubtful because I've read that you lose less points for guessing at the end, but then you also lose a TON of points if you get consecutive questions wrong.

Thanks!
Desi

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:15 members

by VP_Jim » Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:12 pm
Long strings of wrong answers in a row probably hurt more than a random guess in the middle of the test. Spending a few minutes on a question and getting it wrong anyway (or even possibly getting it right) is probably the biggest "killer" on the GMAT. I'd advise you to cut your losses sooner in the middle questions and save time for the end.

I believe that if you're going to get a question right, you usually do so within two minutes. Any longer than that and (on most questions, at least) you've missed the "trick" and the problem is going to be tough.

And yes, you can get that many questions wrong and still do well on the GMAT, as long as you're in the "upper bin" material.
Jim S. | GMAT Instructor | Veritas Prep

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1535 members
GMAT Score:800

by lunarpower » Fri Oct 24, 2008 2:30 am
here's the best advice you can follow:

NEVER go "overtime" on questions.

on quant, this means that you should NEVER, EVER spend more than 3 minutes on a problem. ideally, you should try to stay within about 2:30 (2:45 at the very most), but you can use the 3:00 barrier as the absolute event horizon of the proverbial black hole of time management.

after you reach that point, you will pretty much never be doing anything except deliberating. DO NOT EVER DELIBERATE; instead, either
(1) immediately select one of the remaining choices (if you're deliberating between 2 or more equally attractive choices) - don't be buridan's ass
(2) immediately abandon the technique you're trying to use, and try a secondary technique such as number plugging (if you're deliberating on a strategy or approach)

if you follow these recommendations, then you should find that you either (a) solve problems within the allotted time, or (b) just don't have a clue. if (b) is the case, then just "punt" the question - use process of elimination, or, in the worst-case scenario, just guess at random, but do so QUICKLY. remember that any random guess is just as good/bad as any other random guess, so there's no point in thinking too hard about which random guess to make.

also, make sure you solve problems according to this hierarchy:
(1) try to find a "textbook answer key" method for the problem.
if not, IMMEDIATELY
(2) try to plug in numbers (for problems with variables, word problems, or equations) or just list stuff (for probability and counting problems).
if not, IMMEDIATELY
(3) try to estimate the answer
if not, IMMEDIATELY
(4) try to use some sort of process-of-elimination
if not, IMMEDIATELY
(5) guess.

if you can learn to work your way through this hierarchy QUICKLY (i.e., actually respecting the meaning of the word "immediately" where you see it), then you should see most of your time-management problems begin to evaporate.
most time is lost when test takers don't drop to the next level of the hierarchy fast enough, or don't at all.
Ron has been teaching various standardized tests for 20 years.

--

Pueden hacerle preguntas a Ron en castellano
Potete chiedere domande a Ron in italiano
On peut poser des questions à Ron en français
Voit esittää kysymyksiä Ron:lle myös suomeksi

--

Quand on se sent bien dans un vêtement, tout peut arriver. Un bon vêtement, c'est un passeport pour le bonheur.

Yves Saint-Laurent

--

Learn more about ron