Need Advice on MBA application

Launched April 26, 2006
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Need Advice on MBA application

by bond » Mon Feb 05, 2007 12:15 pm
Hi Stacey,

I was recommended to you for advice question on MBA application.

1. GMAT test frrequency: Is there a point/time after which admission committee at top schools looks unfavorably? I recently got a GMAT score of 670 (88 percentile). Considering I've taken the test few times, I was advised not to take it again (this is my third attempt). I was wondering whether this is a competitive score for top schools, or whether I should reconsider taking exams again to get 700?

2. I've a Masters in Electrical Engineering from US with GPA between 3.4-3.5-Graduated more than 10 yrs ago. Bahcelors of Engineering (EE) with Honors from University in UK (Grade:Upper 2nd division (2.1))-Graduated about 12 yrs ago.

Taken courses to expand my knowledge both at Community colleges and Extension program. Recent classes include: MicroEconomics, Macroeconimics, Principle of Management, Finance, Comparative government , and Basic French. Got A in all of them. Took a decision analysis class at Stanford Masters of Management Science program and got a B+. Took a networking and a programming class at extension.

Got A in one and a F in the other (owing to personal reasons, and school wasn;t not able to W this class). Transcript from extension program will have the F grade along with other As in econ/mgmt./finance/networking.

Should I provide transcript from ext. program, and try to explain to admissions comittee, or just drop sending transcripts from ext. program? Just send few classes from community college? Should I send the B+ from the 1 stanford class? Will the ext. (F grade), and stanford grade possibly affect my apps. unfavorably?

3 Got considerable leadership/extracurricular experience. President of community based non-profit org. Currently co-founder of a non-profit org. focused on using education to improve lives of people in villages in a developing country. In undergradute program, involved in clubs, and community orgs. Elected council member to represent my Hall of residence.

4. Employed for 10 yrs. Currently working in a top communications company for past couple of years. Working as Team lead for past 8 months.

Considering applying to Berkeley part time MBA program (2nd round for this year). Also considering applying to Harvard, stanford, columbia, bekeley, and ucla full time programs next year if part-time application not successful this year. Or, should I opt for full time programs if I plan to invest so much time/money?

Are my Masters/Bachelors grade and GMAT scores competitive at target schools?
I'm planning to capitalize on the work experience, leadership in community orgs. and classes that I've taken to emphasize my strenghts.

Your advise would be invaluable. :D

Thanks.

by bond » Mon Feb 05, 2007 4:02 pm
Saw the need to provide more info. Hence, adding further info for better
assesment of my current position.

Undergradute: University of Bristol, UK

Masters: Univeristy of Southern California

GMAT: Verbal 34 (71 percentile), Q 48 (87 percentile). Overall 670 (88 percentile).

Currently employment: Cisco systems: Team Leader/Software Engineer

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:53 pm
1) They generally look at your highest score and will not penalize you for taking the test several times. However, you do not want to waste your time. You need to decide if you really think you have a chance at a higher score; if not, your time may be used more wisely working on other aspects of your candidacy.

2) I would drop the extension transcript. You have enough additional classes and it just complicates things.

4) Whether you do full time or part time really depends on your goals. The part time program may indeed be better for you.

Your numbers are slightly low but will out by any means keep you out if you have a good story around your other experiences.
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me

by bond » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:07 pm
Thanks Stacy for the advise.

For the time being, I will focus on my application for part-time MBA. Thereafter, I will consider whether to take on a final shot at GMAT. Last exam, I though I burnt up a bit of my stamina in acheiving an AWA of 6. I am quite confident that I can improve my scores after 4-6 weeks of practice, and less burn out on the AWA. I will save this for a future application if needed.

As far extension classes go, 3 other business related classes will get dropped if I don't submit the transcript. Since I've other classes that I took both at Stanford and at a community college, I will not send in extension transcript as per your suggestion in order not to complicate my candidacy.

Thank you.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:113 members

by Stacy Blackman » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:58 pm
The most helpful classes would be Calculus and maybe Statistics or Accounting. If you have not taken those or received low grades, you may want to take an additional class in one of those topics.
Interested in a free 30 minute consultation with the Stacy Blackman Team? Sign up here: https://stacyblackman.com/contact
S T A C Y B L A C K M A N Consulting
Admissions Strategy
www.StacyBlackman.com

Read the SBC blog.

Follow me on Twitter.
Like SBC on Facebook.

Learn more about me