Help for GMAT and Preparation Strategy

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Help for GMAT and Preparation Strategy

by ncavaggn » Thu Aug 02, 2012 5:17 am
Though, I had been glancing over GMAT study material for quite some time, my serious preparation started a week back. I'm appearing for the exam by this month end and targeting a score around 730.

I took the GMAT Prep Practice Test 1 today and scored only 620.
Quant- 47 (Time taken= 63 mins)- Most of the errors were either in DS or Advanced Math Statistics problems.
Verbal- 29 (Time taken= 73 mins)- Mainly SC and CR errors.

1)Though the number of incorrect answers in both the sections appeared similar, I'm unable to understand the scoring mechanism. Is it that the 'Easy' questions in verbal started appearing and I could get most of these correct, but the points related to these were less and hence poor results? Is there any consideration to the time I took for attempting the questions? Is there any specific combination of scores in the two sections which can make up to my target score?

2)Can you help me devise a plan for next few days before I take my GMAT Prep Test 2 in next 10 days?

3)I'm about to finish GMAT OG problems and MGMAT Strategy Guides. I have OG-10th 11th edition and Verbal Review OG for practice. What other study material do you suggest?

4)For an average student like me, is it possible to increase to score beyond 730, considering the time frame I have for my exam? Is 620 a poor score to be corrected, as I understand from some of the replies in forums, GMAT Prep Practice Test score is an indication of ones final performance. I have taken few days off from work and dedicated to GMAT for some time.

Please suggest. :?

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:1268 members
GMAT Score:770

by Brent@GMATPrepNow » Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:29 am
ncavaggn wrote:
1)Though the number of incorrect answers in both the sections appeared similar, I'm unable to understand the scoring mechanism. Is it that the 'Easy' questions in verbal started appearing and I could get most of these correct, but the points related to these were less and hence poor results? Is there any consideration to the time I took for attempting the questions? Is there any specific combination of scores in the two sections which can make up to my target score?
You're score isn't based on the number of questions answered correctly or incorrectly. It's based on the difficulty levels of the questions correctly and incorrectly.
Here's a free video explaining how your score is calculated: https://www.gmatprepnow.com/module/gener ... es?ID=1251

ncavaggn wrote: 2)Can you help me devise a plan for next few days before I take my GMAT Prep Test 2 in next 10 days?
A 10-day plan is tough.
Since your weak areas appear to be SC and CR, I suggest working on those.
I happen to think that SC has the greatest ROI for the time spent.

ncavaggn wrote:3)I'm about to finish GMAT OG problems and MGMAT Strategy Guides. I have OG-10th 11th edition and Verbal Review OG for practice. What other study material do you suggest?
For 10 days of study, those resources should suffice. Once you beef up your SC and CR, I suggest taking lots of practice tests. Many of the companies on this site offer free ones, plus you can retake the GMATPrep tests.

ncavaggn wrote: 4)For an average student like me, is it possible to increase to score beyond 730, considering the time frame I have for my exam? Is 620 a poor score to be corrected, as I understand from some of the replies in forums, GMAT Prep Practice Test score is an indication of ones final performance. I have taken few days off from work and dedicated to GMAT for some time.
A 110-point increase in 10 days is a very tall order, but it's not impossible.

Get cracking!! :-)

Cheers,
Brent
Brent Hanneson - Creator of GMATPrepNow.com

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by ncavaggn » Thu Aug 02, 2012 10:52 am
Thanks Brent for the reply.

The video link has made certain aspects of scoring clearer and I can make out as to why I got such difference in the scores for Verbal and Quant.

Not sure if I can improve the scores, but I'm at it..!! :idea: