SC - Confused wording

This topic has expert replies
Legendary Member
Followed by:70 members

SC - Confused wording

by karthikpandian19 » Mon May 28, 2012 11:00 pm
Roadblocks on major holidays, even if they are set up only to check drivers' licenses and seatbelts, are spontaneous searches of every driver, even the ones who have committed no crime. Without establishing probable cause, I believe such searches should be illegal.

Without establishing probable cause, I believe such searches should be illegal
Unless establishing probable cause, such searches, I believe, should be illegal
I believe such searches should be illegal, without establishing probable cause
I believe such searches should be illegal, unless officers have established probable cause
I believe without establishing probable cause that such searches should be illegal
Regards,
Karthik
The source of the questions that i post from JUNE 2013 is from KNEWTON

---If you find my post useful, click "Thank" :) :)---
---Never stop until cracking GMAT---

Legendary Member
Followed by:12 members

by patanjali.purpose » Mon May 28, 2012 11:15 pm
karthikpandian19 wrote:Roadblocks on major holidays, even if they are set up only to check drivers' licenses and seatbelts, are spontaneous searches of every driver, even the ones who have committed no crime. Without establishing probable cause, I believe such searches should be illegal.

I believe such searches should be illegal, unless officers have established probable cause
I believe without establishing probable cause that such searches should be illegal
IMO:
A - we need to mention SEARCHES as continuation of last line first; WITHOUT...CAUSE as opening modifier appears as if I AM establishing the CAUSE; drop

Sentence does not intend to describe anything conditional and therefore use of UNLESS inappropriate; drop B/D

E- use of THAT inappropriate

IMO C

Legendary Member
Followed by:70 members

by karthikpandian19 » Tue May 29, 2012 4:20 am
Actually the OA is D
patanjali.purpose wrote:
karthikpandian19 wrote:Roadblocks on major holidays, even if they are set up only to check drivers' licenses and seatbelts, are spontaneous searches of every driver, even the ones who have committed no crime. Without establishing probable cause, I believe such searches should be illegal.

IMO:
A - we need to mention SEARCHES as continuation of last line first; WITHOUT...CAUSE as opening modifier appears as if I AM establishing the CAUSE; drop

Sentence does not intend to describe anything conditional and therefore use of UNLESS inappropriate; drop B/D

E- use of THAT inappropriate

IMO C
Regards,
Karthik
The source of the questions that i post from JUNE 2013 is from KNEWTON

---If you find my post useful, click "Thank" :) :)---
---Never stop until cracking GMAT---

Legendary Member
Followed by:49 members
GMAT Score:770

by eagleeye » Tue May 29, 2012 5:00 am
I got the answer as [spoiler]D[/spoiler]. Let me explain:

This is one of those in which we need to reduce ambiguity. First off, we should be able to establish that the author of the argument thinks that random searches without probable cause are illegal.

Without establishing probable cause, I believe
This tells us that author does not have a probable cause for his belief. Wrong meaning. NO.

Unless establishing probable cause
This is a sentence fragment. For this sentence to be correct, the bold should have been "Unless probable cause is established, ....NO.

Again, the meaning here is ambiguous, this sentence reads as if the author has not established probable cause. NO.

This is the correct answer. It correctly addresses the authors concern, and we can clearly see who needs to establish the probable cause. YES.

Again, it means the same wrong meaning as A and C, therefore not correct. NO.

Let me know if this helps :)