"Which of the following could be true?" Questions

This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Anyone has any advice on how to approach these problems? I keep getting them wrong in my practice problems, and I know I had the same issue with them in the SAT's. These are the problems that give you Statement (I), (II), and (III) and asks you which of them are true.

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
GMAT Score:750
revoltangel wrote:Anyone has any advice on how to approach these problems? I keep getting them wrong in my practice problems, and I know I had the same issue with them in the SAT's. These are the problems that give you Statement (I), (II), and (III) and asks you which of them are true.
Based on your knowledge, pick one statement you are most sure (either could be true or couldn't be true). From this step, you can almost eliminate three options. If you have no idea for the rest, try your luck. It's 50-50.

Legendary Member
Followed by:11 members

by cramya » Mon Nov 03, 2008 5:19 pm
Here's a simple strategy u can use:

For must be true try disproving each choice by picking numbers and the one that remains (cannot be disproved) is the answer.

For could be true question if u can show the choice works with one set of values picked(based on the contraints in the problem if given) then its part of your answer that u r goanna pick

Lets say the question is which of the following must be true

eg: I) a=0 II) b+c = 0 III)None

and hypothetically u get something like a (b+c) = 0 Either a =0 or b+c = 0 or both we dont know. I would go with None since its a must be true question and we cant say for sure a=0 or b+c=0 or both

If its a could be true question then I would with go the choice thats lists
I and II

Others please feel free to jump in if my deduction is incorrect.

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by Tomn » Thu Nov 06, 2008 10:27 pm
I would say start with each one of the answers and see if you can find a way to make it untrue. You might be able to work from there.