Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation

by himbenz » Mon Oct 27, 2008 8:44 am
Hi,

My name is Himanshu.

GMAT 640 Quant 47 verbal 32

I did my M.S in Electrical Engineering from Chalmers University of Technology, Sweden after my Bachelors in Electrical Engineering from MSU Baroda, India. Have a GPA of 3.5/5 in Bachelors and 4.5/5 in Masters. After completing my Electrical Engineering, did my internship at Volvo Car Corporation in Gothenburg, Sweden. Although, my degree is in pure Engineering, I was interested in techno commercial aspects of the industry. So, delivered s research papers and thesis on commercial aspects of RF analyisis and implications in Volvo Cars Corporation. After completing my thesis and research papers, I joined Frost and Sullivan in Texas, US as business analyst for analysing automotive markets of US and Europe. After completing few consulting projects, came back to India due to some personal reason after serving for one and half year. Initially, I tried to start a new venture, but later on realized it was bit premature. Joined Reliance Industries Limited in their start up Retail Venture and lead implementation of RFID pilot implementation for their F&V business as well as CDIT for one and half year. Also worked with end to end implementation of Business Analytics Lab along with KSA a a part of Reliance team. After 1 year 8 months,joined Aditya Birla Retail Limited and leading implementation of Enteprise Program Mangement and Consumer Behavior Model specific to different retail formats. I am also working right now to start innovation lab in the firm for testing inhouse technologies and business processes. I am working as a Sr Manager with Business Strategy Group and it has been 2 years and 3 months in ABRL till now.

It is very difficult to share something on community side as I feel that it mars the innate purpose of community service. Anyhow, to be brief, I am working with a NGO to establish education centers for educating slum children in Mumbai.

I know that with this kind of profile it may be little difficult to get into top B schools, but my overall vision with all due respect is not to be necessarily associate myself with Stanfords or Harvards of the world. Simple aim is to get a good business education, apply those principles to entrepreneurship(whenever its possible :) ) or work for a decent firm and deliver the best that I can to contribute to the business environment.

I am planning for schools such as Texas A&M, Michigan State University, Brigham Young and University of Houston

I will really appreciate if you can guide me for the kind of schools that I should go for. I am also planning to retake GMAT in November because I know that I could have done much better and did some mistakes in Verbal Section

Thanks and Regards
Himanshu

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:3 members
GMAT Score:750+

by VP_MBA_Guru » Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:56 pm
Hi H,
Thanks for your post. You are likely competitive for the schools listed below, however you should try to improve your GMAT score, as your applicant pool (Indians with IT/Eng. background) is very competitive and many of your peers will apply with much higher scores.

In terms of your school preferences, try to focus on your post-MBA career goals and which schools would make most sense for your background and interests - particularly your regional interests, as many non-top 25 MBA programs often feed local companies.

Regards,

NP
Nikhil P. | Admissions Consultant | Veritas Prep