minimum % marks in Mumbai University --> GPA

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hello,
I have an Engg. degree from Mumbai Univ but do not have a first division (have a second class). Can some one please let me know whether good American B schools accept Indian candidates who do not have a first division in undergraduate studies. Probably some one who is well aware of the India grading system can answer this?

I understand that the undergraduate marks or GPA is only a part of the MBA application but still want to like to hear from some MBA consultant experts regarding this..

Appreciate your response..

Thank You,
Mannu

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Fri Oct 24, 2008 11:20 am
Dear Mannu,

While your GPA alone will not result in a rejection, the rest of your application becomes more important to mitigate this weakness. A high GMAT score is imperative in your situation. Likewise, you should probably plan to address your undergraduate performance in an optional essay. Finally, you will probably need to adjust your target schools to some degree to give you the best shot at admission.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Scores in GMAT..

by mba_applicant_2009 » Sat Oct 25, 2008 7:37 pm
Dear Lisa,
Thank You for the reply.

I gave my GMAT once before and I scored
660 - Math 49 (88 percentile) and Verbal 31(in 60s)

Recently I gave it the second time and was expecting a 720
But scored only 680 - Math 47 (79 percemtile) Verbal 35 (74 percentile)
And I was really disappointed.

I think I can improve my score with 1 to 1.5 months preparation but don't have time because I want to apply for next year.

I have 4.5 years experience and currently work as a Business Analyst although I started my carrer as a s/w developer. I have quite a bit of international exposure and assumed a variety of responsibilities.
I have been involved in community service for 3-4 months and have a little bit of extra-curricular - I was 3rd in Chess in college, team event 1st, earned a diploma in public speaking,.. And last but not the least I want to make a carrer change to Asset Mgmt.

Can you suggest me some schools now

Thank You.
Mannu

Lisa Anderson wrote:Dear Mannu,

While your GPA alone will not result in a rejection, the rest of your application becomes more important to mitigate this weakness. A high GMAT score is imperative in your situation. Likewise, you should probably plan to address your undergraduate performance in an optional essay. Finally, you will probably need to adjust your target schools to some degree to give you the best shot at admission.

Good luck,
Lisa