Help in evaluating profile

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Help in evaluating profile

by abhi84 » Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:38 pm
Hi,

Took GMAT a couple of days back.... disappointed to say the least. My scores read GMAT 700 (90th Percentile Q49 V37 AWA5.0). Have been preparing really well over the past 3 months targetting a 740+ score to break into the league of the good b-schools as well as to open up avenues for a decent scholarship. Considering the nature of cut-throat competition expected this year, really feel apprehensive of my chances with such a score!

To throw some light on my profile, I am working for a well renowned Indian IT consulting company for the last three years, with the last one year at an international customer location in UK. Have a decent (not extraordinary) extra-curricular exposure at undergraduate college level and a GPA in the range 3.0-3.5 in Computer Engineering. I took TOEFL last month and scored a 110 there.

Assuming that I can present a strong case of 'quality' work experience and work on my application by doing rigorous research on the schools of my choice (UNC, CMU, Indiana, Texas - none in the top 20) in the next one month before I hit the deadlines for the second rounds in these schools, do you suggest I still look at a reattempt at GMAT to improve my scores? Is it that scoring 720 or 730 will make a world of difference to my profile as compared to how it stands now? I am fairly confident of improving my scores on a reattempt.

~abhi84.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:6 members

by Scottie@VeritasPrep » Fri Oct 24, 2008 4:44 pm
You have a strong GMAT score. Another 20 points is not going to make a world of difference. Given your background, your challenge will be to differentiate yourself from other Indian applicants with IT backgrounds. Focus on highlighting differentiators and unique experiences (incl. extracurriculars, hobbies, community involvement, etc.) You have demonstrated your intellectual strength. Now, you need to show that you can bring a unique dimension to an MBA class.
Scottie Winslow | Admissions Consultant |
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options