Question on whether to retake GMAT

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Question on whether to retake GMAT

by smokeyalmond » Sat Sep 27, 2008 5:23 pm
I've just taken the gmat and I got a 680 (79 percentile for both verbal and math). I'm looking to apply to the top 10 schools and was wondering whether or not to retake the test.

I went to undergrad at Carnegie Mellon (BS in Biology/Biomedical Eng) and had a lower GPA ~2.5 overall, 3.0 for my last two years. I have a MS from Johns Hopkins (MS in Biotech) with a GPA around 3.7. I've been working as a management and strategy consultant within the pharma industry for the past 5 years. I'm and Indian female.

Given that information, should I be retaking the GMAT to score above 700?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:10 pm
Dear smokeyalmond,

I think you are competitive with your 680, assuming you have strong essays, resume, recommendations and interviews. However, I think it might be worth retaking if you have only taken the test once and feel you can increase your score. A 700+ would put you in a better position. Worst case scenario: you apply with your current score which is not a bad place to be.

Best of luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
GMAT Score:650

by jsl » Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:06 am
Your score is also really well balanced and I know this matters to schools. May be you should just go for it and work on making your essays perfect?