Question for 2011

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Question for 2011

by arv2011 » Mon Oct 20, 2008 6:17 am
Hi Everybody,
First of all thank you in advance for the helpful responses. I'm starting my preparation for admission process to business schools in 2011 ( I know it's really early), and I have few questions, that I hope somebody could shed some light on. I'm planning to apply for fall 2011, probably to several schools around NYC, including but not limited to Columbia, NYU, Cornell, Fordham and Baruch. My questions/concerns are:

1) If I were to prepare for GMAT and take it let's say summer 2009, would it look bad on my application that the score is two years old? If so, when should I take it (I should be ready shortly). I'd preffer to get it over with as soon as I can, so I can work on my LSAT as well.

2) Is there a connection between different departments in schools? I want to apply both to MBA and Law programs in top schools. Will that make me look uncommitted to MBA admission board?

3) I work full-time while getting my undergraduate degree from Hunter as an Office Manager/Graphic designer in a real estate firm. Combined I will have 5 years+ of work experience. Will this experience matter, or should I switch my career to find something more business related?

4) Because of my work/school situation, I don't have time to volunteer etc, could that affect my chances?

5) I'm not a native english speaker ( I also speak German and Polish), could that affect it?

6) Last, but not least - References - Which are more valuable, academic or professional?

Thanks again for any thoughtful comments. I know I have plenty of time, but still I'd like feel prepared sooner than later.

Arthur