Profile review please!

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile review please!

by Lulu2 » Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:23 am
Here's what I've got:

Background: 25 years old, been working in the entertainment industry (production), non-managerial positions, currently unemployed :(
GPA: 3.4 from a top LAC, English major (3.65 last 2 years, but didn't do well in the quant courses (or any courses) I took freshman year
GMAT: 760 (50 V, 47 Q)
Extra-curricular: 4-yr DIII varsity athlete, head of class alumni giving (for first 5 years of out school), few other little things
Post-MBA- Consulting career and/or management of large family business

Applying R2, hoping for Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Kellogg, Chicago, Sloan, Columbia, Darden, and McCombs.

Am I shooting way too high? I'm guessing a lot of my success will hinge on how well I can sell a connection between my background (which was just a diversion, really, I figured I do something fun before going back to school) and my career aspirations. But, I really want/need an MBA to get past it! I figure schools will also question my quant ability...

Your magic calculator said some of these schools were matches, but I am skeptical. Are there any schools in particular that really like non-traditional applicants?

Help!

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:6 members

by Scottie@VeritasPrep » Fri Oct 17, 2008 1:09 pm
You are correct in assuming that you need to "sell" your background and make it seem more focused than it appears in your profile. If you can market yourself properly and address you lower quant-related grades then you should be in good shape for a top program. That said, Columbia and Stanford and pretty heavy in the quant area and may pose a challenge.
Scottie Winslow | Admissions Consultant |
Veritas Prep

Enroll now. Pay later. Take advantage of Veritas Prep's flexible payment plan options