The GMAT Focus Is NOT Really About What You Already Know

Knowledge base for the new GMAT Focus Edition
This topic has expert replies

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members

The GMAT Focus Is NOT Really About What You Already Know[/color][/align]
It’s very common for students to doubt their intelligence when they study for the GMAT Focus Edition.

Maybe you’ve performed poorly on standardized tests in the past. So, you’re going into the GMAT Focus prep process with a negative view of your capabilities. Maybe you discover that some area of the GMAT is a weakness for you that you weren’t expecting. Or, maybe you’ve been out of school for a while. So, you’ve forgotten a lot of the material that the GMAT Focus tests. In many cases, GMAT Focus material just feels tough! Even if the concepts GMAT questions test are familiar, the ways the GMAT tests those concepts are tricky. The GMAT’s particular style of questions can take a lot of getting used to.

So, whether you haven’t been grasping GMAT Focus concepts as quickly as you’d like or all of the GMAT content seems completely foreign to you, you may be asking yourself, am I too dumb for this test?

I think you know what my answer to that question will be!

Here’s the thing about intelligence, when it comes to the GMAT Focus and in general: it’s not really about what you already knowRather, it’s about your capacity to learn what you don’t know. And trust me, you have the capacity to learn everything you need to know to perform well on the GMAT Focus.

I have seen PLENTY of students start with practice test scores in the 500s, 400s, and even 200s and end up with 99th percentile scores. Yes, realizing those gains may take a significant amount of time and effort, but it is COMPLETELY doable. And nobody ever said this business school stuff was going to be easy, right?

So, don’t worry about what you don’t know right now. If you weren’t capable of learning and growing, you wouldn’t even be in a position to apply to business school! You’ve made it this far because you’ve learned the things you needed to know to get this far. Repeat those successes! There’s no reason to believe GMAT Focus prep will be the one instance in which you’re incapable of learning new things.

On a more practical level, remember that you can seek support. You can reach out to friends or colleagues who have taken GMAT Focus to learn how others in your shoes have overcome feelings of inadequacy when studying GMAT Focus content. Believe me, it’s a common story!

Warmest regards,

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder & CEO, Target Test Prep