760 GMAT (Q48V47) (no math background) with Target Test Prep

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Slightly dated post but hoping that this helps somebody in their preparation. This score is from my second attempt (I totally bombed my first one-- 630). Shout-out to Target Test Prep for helping me on the way; there is no way I could have managed that score without them. If somebody like me who was doing math after 13 years can manage that score, I’m sure anybody can! Here’s a brief description of my journey:

Material I used:
• Quant– TTP and some practice questions from Official Guide
• Verbal– TTP
• IR– Stuff from the practice exams

Prep:
Things I did well:
• Followed the structure on TTP to a tee. I was on a slightly crunched timeline (I started my prep only in mid to late Oct) and chose the accelerated option. I prepped for about 4-5 hours a day.
• I followed all the advice that Scott has on the TTP program, including not taking any exams until I was done with prep, and repeated practice, practice, and practice.
• I revisited all the mistakes I had made so that I knew exactly where I was going wrong. I took nearly all the tests that TTP has on their website.

What helped me on TTP:
• What I loved most about TTP was its interface. It is so easy to highlight and save notes that it’s almost intuitive and fun. Even after almost 2 years of taking the exam, I can still remember the TTP interface.
• The course is SO structured that you almost don’t have to put in any brainpower other than just commit to the reps of showing up to study. All my notes were made, I knew what I had to study, and I knew when I was taking the test.
• There are reinforcing notes at the end of every section that summarizes what you have learnt.
• The verbal is surprisingly good! I thought it was lacking when I started, but I realized very quickly that everything I needed was there.
• Scott’s advice is so helpful, especially with test taking and overall composure. It’s like a friendly but firm voice helping you in your journey.

Things I wish I had done differently:
• Before I completely decided on TTP, there were multiple prep resources that I was trying to juggle, meaning that I confused myself.
• I tried to do my verbal from different sources, thinking that TTP material was not enough. Gosh, was I SO wrong!
• Given myself more time to prep so that I could have done the regular plan on TTP and not been so anxious on test day.

Process and Timeline:
Early October-- I took my first GMAT exam (score 650) with minimum prep from the OG.
Early to mid-October—Tried out different test platform sites. Finally decided on TTP because it was the only one that allowed me to try it out completely for 5 days and I loved it.
Mid to late October—Went into complete prep mode with the accelerated option on TTP with about 4-5 hours of prep every day.
Mid to late November– Was nervous as well but started to take official practice tests. Scored between 690 to 740.
Late November– Took my first official GMAT exam. Bombed it (score 630) because I was so nervous. I wrote to Scott from TTP, and he advised me to go back to the basics on TTP.
Early to late December– I focused on areas in my Official Score Report and in TTP where I was going wrong.
End December– Took the GMAT again with much more confidence this time. Scored 760 (V47 Q 48).

In short, my advice—Stick to the process that TTP has. It’s not a shortcut. But it’s more like a challenging hike with amazing views throughout rather than an arduous one where you’re constantly led astray, or you’re promised false hope. Thank you, Scott and the TTP team!

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Can you share some of the ways and materials you reviewed?