Got 740 (Q49, V41) with TTP

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Got 740 (Q49, V41) with TTP

by marchimself » Tue Sep 12, 2023 12:58 am
I kicked off my GMAT journey back in October 2022. You could say I'm the type who appreciates a good dose of structure, so it was pretty clear to me that a GMAT course with a well-organized syllabus and exercises was the way to go. A friend recommended TTP, so I decided to give their 5-day trial a shot, and I was instantly hooked. After the trial, I signed up for the 6-month plan, hoping to wrap up the course within that timeframe.
Considering my demanding consulting job, I usually squeezed in about an hour or two of studying in the early morning when my brain was at its sharpest. TTP's curriculum starts from the basics and gradually builds up from there. What really struck me were the "Must Know" tips they offered for each topic – super handy. I also made it a point to use their "Active Review" feature to jot down notes as I went along. During my commute to work, I'd often flip through the Verbal SC "Idioms" notes. TTP generously provides over 500 English idioms to keep in your mental toolbox.
I couldn't stick to this routine every single day, though. So, by the time my 6-month subscription was up, I'd covered roughly 60% of the course. To make up for it, I subscribed on a monthly basis for a couple more months until I finally reached the finish line. On the TTP platform, my practice questions’ accuracy hovered around 80% to 85% for both the quant and verbal sections. They have this nifty analytics tool that keeps tabs on your performance across all exercises.
After wrapping up the TTP course, I decided to take my first official practice test and landed a score of 700 (Q47; V38). Since my target was north of 700, I registered to take the real exam in four weeks. About a week later, I tried another practice test and scored 680 (Q48; V34). That was a bit of a downer, so I went back to review my verbal notes and practice questions.
Come test day, I scored 660 (Q48; V33), indicating a need for some serious work on the verbal front. It was clear I had to up my game and tackle more challenging verbal questions. While TTP did have some verbal questions, I wanted to try more variety. So, I bought two Official Guide (OG) resources: the OG Verbal Review and Advanced Questions (which covered both quant and verbal). I also bought a couple more practice tests. Just so you know, the OG resources I got are essentially loaded with practice questions and answers, they don’t teach you the topics – TTP got that covered for me. I practiced through roughly 500 questions, leaning on TTP for the core content, tips, and tricks and using the OG materials for extra verbal practice especially.
Two weeks after using OG materials, I took a practice test and scored 740 (Q49, V42). I kept practicing and took another test in 2 weeks, I scored 740 (Q50, V43). I practiced all the questions and studied the ones I got wrong over and over again.
On the actual GMAT day, I scored of 740 (Q49, V41). TTP was an absolute game-changer for me in three key ways:
1. Comprehensive Guide: TTP covered every nook and cranny of quant and verbal topics, leaving no gaps in my knowledge. There was no single topic in quant and verbal that I had not treated, even when I took my first test and scored 660.
2. Systematic Structure: TTP's curriculum is thoughtfully structured, with topics like "Properties of Numbers" coming earlier in quant to lay the groundwork for many other quantitative concepts.
3. Tips & Tricks: I don’t think GMAT is necessarily a game of knowledge. TTP armed me with valuable techniques to manage my time effectively during the exam. My average response time for quant questions was under two minutes. Plus, after tackling thousands of TTP questions, I gradually developed the skill for spotting patterns in the questions.
I hope sharing my TTP experience proves useful in your own GMAT journey.

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members

Re: Got 740 (Q49, V41) with TTP

by Scott@TargetTestPrep » Fri Sep 22, 2023 6:05 am
Hi marchimself,

740 is a fantastic score! Thank you for sharing!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage