Scored a 720 using TTP for ~2 months

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Scored a 720 using TTP for ~2 months

by sgansler » Thu Jul 06, 2023 10:59 am
My story

I began my test prep in August with plans to finish my GMAT by the end of November, or, worst case, mid-December. I started by using a number of different resources that I found online (YouTube, blogs, etc.), as well as the Manhattan Prep study book.

My initial approach was scattered, picking topics in no particular order, based on what I perceived as my weaknesses. I was spending 6+ hours each day studying, believing that if I simply put in enough time, regardless of the specific resources I was using, I would eventually master the material. However, after a couple of months of this DIY, time-intensive approach, I started to become frustrated with my lack of results. I was still scoring in a similar range on my practice tests (low 600s), despite the large amount of time I had spent studying. I was worried that I was running low on time and would not be able to achieve my target score of 700+.

It was at this point that I sought a different approach. Luckily, I managed to come across Target Test Prep (TTP) through a recommendation from a friend. Within the first couple of days of using the program’s trial period, I was finally able to see a clear path toward mastering all of the material on the test, even with the somewhat short amount of time until the test (less than two months).

The program is laid out in way that covers all of the information in an extremely logical progression, and delivers the information in the most efficient form possible.

After the first month, I was already seeing my practice tests creep into the upper 600s. I was even spending less time studying each day than before starting the program, but was learning the material much more effectively. The format of “missions” provides a clear, track-able path to success and ensures that all of the topics and sub-topics will be covered by the end of the journey. This is overlaid with TTP’s useful user interface, which helps you track and identify weaker areas as you move through, so that you can focus in on these later on in the final review stages.

After completing all of the missions, I was nearly breaking 700 in my practice tests. With a couple of weeks left, I then used TTP’s practice test bank and revisited chapters in my weak areas to bring my scores into the 700+ range.

Leading up to test day, I unfortunately came down with a bad head-cold. I was very stressed that I would not be able to perform as well. However, I was able to tap into the confidence I had gained through the TTP program, knowing that I covered all of the material and should be able to quickly recognize any given question and understand which approach to use and what pitfalls to avoid. Despite being sick, I still managed to achieve a score of 720 (V45, Q44), which I was quite happy with!

Some specific notes within each area of the test:

Quant

Quant was my weaker area and is where I spent the most time studying. Having tried multiple resources before finding TTP, I can safely attest that TTP is the only resource one might need for quant. Between the chapters and the practice question bank, I believe the TTP material alone can be used to achieve a very high score in quant. I believe if I had found TTP earlier, I could have used the material to bring my quant score closer to a 50 (I managed to achieve a 49 in one of my practice tests after completing the course)

Verbal

TTP’s material on sentence correction within verbal is entirely comprehensive. I did find it useful to supplement with other material, such as YouTube tutorials, to improve my capabilities in the reading sections, as these are not covered in quite as much detail within the TTP course.

IR / Writing

I essentially did not study IR or the writing assessment, given my time crunch, but managed to achieve a 7 and 6, respectively.

Overall

Had I not found TTP, I believe I would not have achieved my target score. TTP offers an extremely efficient and comprehensive approach that can be trusted to equip you for all areas of the test. Ultimately, despite a relatively short time window, I managed to achieve my target score thanks to the program. Had I found TTP’s course earlier in my process and not wasted so much time with a DIY approach, I believe I could have scored significantly higher!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members
Hi sgansler,

720 in two months is awesome! Thank you for sharing!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage