570 to 730 - All with Target Test Prep

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

570 to 730 - All with Target Test Prep

by smhammadzaidi » Mon May 15, 2023 11:33 pm
The Search for Study Material:
Video lectures have been a refuge throughout my academics. To me they are just convenient and allow me to move at a much faster pace. Logically, going for a video based GMAT course made sense. With the hundreds of courses available, I just could not find the right resource. Then a friend suggested an online resource, which seemed short and sweet and apparently everyone around me was using. Well that video based online resource turned out to be a complete waste of 2 months and a GMAT attempt as my score remained at a flat 570 after finishing the material. I will not name the resource here. Mock 1: 570 (Q39, V28), Mock 2: 610 (Q40, V34), First GMAT Attempt: 570 (Q39, V28)

Giving Target Test Prep a Shot:
I had come across Target Test Prep during my initial search; however, I did not consider it because (a) it was not video based, and; (b) it was very expensive for someone in Pakistan. But after looking at the numerous positive reviews, I gave it a shot and bought the trial for $1. The trial was enough for me to understand that I did not need videos and that TTP was miles ahead of any other course material I had audited.

The Exhausting Journey:
At the beginning of the course, Scott emerges as the bearer of warning: his number one suggestion is to follow the course to the T and that its going to be a very demanding journey. Let's just say I took his warning too lightly, and thought I'll just go ahead with a monthly subscription and aim to finish the resource in a couple of months to save money. I ended up buying the monthly subscription 5 times. To anyone reading this: JUST BUY THE 6 MONTH PLAN!

The TTP course is very well designed. The order of topics and the ability to adjust it as per one's requirements was very helpful. Setting the course for 740+ target, configures it to give you every possible question. Aim for the stars and select that configuration.

Quant Prep (Q39 to Q49):
I personally like to finish one component at a time, so I started of with quant. I was honestly taken away by the simplicity and directness of the notes, concepts were easy to grasp and the example question really helped retain the knowledge. The notes were easy enough to do, the quizzes on the other hand were a lot.

With the 740+ settings, you will be doing 100+ quizzes with 15 questions per quiz. It will get repetitive. But do not skip them. Every quiz helps cement the concept so strongly, that you will remember it even after a year. The quizzes at the beginning of each chapter help you realize your current understanding of the topic. There are also comprehensive quizzes at the end of each chapter which test all the topics you have covered so far, which is the best possible revision tactic there is.

Quant took me about 5 months to finish end to end. And I really did not need to revise any Quant concepts, it was like the concepts were burned into my memory with the 2500+ questions I did throughout the quant course.

Verbal Prep (V28 to V41):
I was okay with Critical Reasoning and Reading Comprehension and only used TTP for Sentence Correction. The SC section was very well structured, testing me with each concept rigorously and training me to spot errors. The hard quizzes for SC were a nightmare and I think they are meant to be. But they force you to think and learn to match instinct with rules.

For CR and RC, I just did the OG 2022 questions.

The Round-up:
I did all of Verbal in the last and sixth month of my prep. Every week I used to study verbal during the week days and attempt full-length official mocks on the weekends. Throughout my mocks, I did not score below a Q47 in any of the mocks and kept improving on Verbal as I went through the OG 2022. Below are my mock scores for the six official mocks and my actual score:

Mock 3:
Date: 19-Dec-2022
Score: 710 (Q49, V38)

Mock 4:
Date: 21-Dec-2022
Score: 700 (Q47, V38)

Mock 5:
Date: 27-Dec-2022
Score: 760 (Q49, V46)

Mock 6:
Date: 01-Jan-2023
Score: 730 (Q49, V41)

Actual Exam:
Date: 02-Jan-2023
Score: 730 (Q49, V41)

Summary:
The course is very comprehensive and at times exhausting. However, it is THE BEST RESOURCE FOR GMAT and whenever you are stuck somewhere Scott, Jeff & Marty will be right there in your chat box to guide you. I took a lot of time because I was juggling a lot of other commitments. You can finish this in probably 4 months, though I advise to buy the 6-month package to accommodate for any unforeseen circumstances. Good Luck!

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:29 members
Hi smhammadzaidi,

570 to 730 is no joke! Congrats!

Scott Woodbury-Stewart
Founder and CEO
[email protected]

See why Target Test Prep is rated 5 out of 5 stars on BEAT the GMAT. Read our reviews

ImageImage