Request for profile evaluation

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Request for profile evaluation

by VaibhavN » Sun Oct 12, 2008 10:02 am
Hi,

I am Vaibhav from India. I appeared for GMAT on 20th Oct and got 690.

I would like to know which schools I should target (top 10, 10-20 or below) and what I need more to distinguish myself from other applicant. Also what are the prospects if I do MBA from schools that rank below 20.

Below is my profile in brief

I have done Masters in Aerospace engg from India's best technical institute with 7.0/8.0 GPA and undergraduation from a decent university with First class/Honors and recipient of silver medal. I have secured more than 80% throughout my education and have been recipient of govt merit scholarship.

After MS, I have been working as design engg in GE India technology center. Its been very good till now as I have few patents in my name and recieved many awards. I have also led few projects.

Thanks
Vaibhav

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:36 pm
Dear Vaibhav,

Based on the limited profile you posted, I think schools in the top 30 will be a reach for you this year. That is not to say you shouldn't apply to one or two, but it would be wise to apply to some outside the top 30 as well.

Many schools in the top 30-50 range are good programs with strong reputations. It is important for you to identify those that best prepare you for the career you desire and demonstrate how the program is a good fit for you in your application. What type of job you get after business school is primarily the function of how much effort you put into pursuing those opportunities. While the school name might open a door, you will only get the job if you present yourself effectively.

Good luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me