Scoring GMAT

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Scoring GMAT

by ynyus75 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:59 am
How the scores are distributed among AWA, Quant. and Verbal sections in GMAT.

What is the ideal score to enter in to top 20 Schools in US?

I am planning on a 6 week self-preparation, will be sufficient?

Please advice.

Thanks in advance

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:750

by Graham » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:11 am
Dear ynyus75,

Thanks for your post! While there are likely numerous places you can find this information throughougt this forum and across the web, here's a basic summary of how the GMAT works:

1) There are three parts to the GMAT: the analytical writing assessment (AWA), the quantitative section and the verbal section. The AWA requires that applicants draft two essays. The other two sections are multiple choice.

2) Test takers receive a score in each section - with the AWA being scored on a scale of 0.0-6.0 and the other two sections being scored on a 0-60 scale. All of these 'raw' scores are converted to percentiles so that applicants (and schools) can see how you compare with other test takers. For example, someone who scores a 50/60 in the quantitative section is likely to be at around the 95th percentile on that section (e.g. top 5% of al people who have taken that section of the exam).

3) Test takers also receive an overall GMAT score on a scale of 200-800. The overall score is determined by the test taker's raw results on the quantitative and verbal sections of the exam but NOT the AWA.

4) As you may have gathered from the way the test is scored, the schools place an emphasis on the quant. and verbal sections much more so than they do on the AWA.

As to what sort of score one should have for a top-20 MBA program, this varies somewhat from the top-5 down to #20, but in essence you should be aiming to score around 700+ on the exam. You should also be aiming to surpass the 80th percentile in both the math and verbal sections. The average GMAT score at places like Wharton and HBS 710-715 these days.

In terms of prep time, six weeks is a good start - but it all depends on how much time you intend to put into it during the six-week period. In essence, you'll need to do a couple of hours of problems each day, a full-length, timed test each weekend, etc. I strongly suggest that you read through the resources in this forum, since there are hundreds of pages of advice in terms of how to prepare, how long it takes, etc.

Best of luck,

Graham
Graham Richmond
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.

by ynyus75 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:50 am
Dear Graham,

Thank you very much for your lucid reply. I got all of my answers from your reply. I have taken a full length test to see where I stand and I scored 650. I don't know if I can improve in 6 weeks, but I shall definitely go by the plan.

Is it true Executive MBA has more prospects then Evening MBA, which I am planning to pursue. I have 3 years of Professional Experience in IT along with 4 years of Student-IT-Employment experience in top companies as Research Assistant. I had Masters Degree in US with 3.2 GPA. Now working for one of the world's leading IT company.

I would greatly appreciate your advice.

by DCBuppie » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:39 pm
To springboard from the original question,

If one took the the GMAT twice, and had varying Verbal and Math scores, is one scores, the best of both. Meaning the best verbal + the best quan?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:17 members
GMAT Score:750

by Graham » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:08 am
Dear DCBuppie,

Thanks for your follow-on question.

The short answer is that 99% of MBA programs will NOT mix and match your various sittings of the GMAT to take the best possible math/verbal combination. In fact, the only top school that I know of that will take your best effort on each section of the exam (across multiple exams) is Dartmouth/Tuck.

Having said that, if you have scored really well on each section - but never within the same sitting of the test - I think it wouldn't hurt to draw the schools' attention to this with a brief optional essay (assuming you don't have time to retake the test and really push yourself to hit the mark in both sections on the same day).

Best of luck,

Graham
Graham Richmond
Clear Admit, LLC
[email protected]
215 568 2590

Stay Informed with Clear Admit!
Read our Blog for daily MBA admissions tips and updates.
Follow us on Twitter for breaking b-school news.
Download our Publications on MBA programs and admissions strategy.
Visit our MBA Admissions Wiki to read and share application insights.