Advice Needed

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Advice Needed

by asmithee123 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 1:05 pm
Hi! I recently took the GMAT for a second time but scored around the same as my first time:

6/29/08:
Verbal: 31
Quant: 44

10/4/08:
Verbal: 36
Quant: 36

I’m aiming to apply to top schools in the U.S. (UCLA, USC, Kellogg, NYU, Berkeley, Stanford) and London Business School as well.

I’m re-considering taking the GMAT again in about 5 weeks but am wondering if it will really be beneficial (I am, however, aware that my current scores fall under the median of the schools I’m aiming for).

My work experience is mostly entrepreneurial (have worked with start-ups and co-founded a company as well) and I have an undergrad gpa of 3.2 from a top institution.

Any advice?

Legendary Member
Followed by:7 members

by Cindy Tokumitsu » Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:36 am
Hello,

It will be not only beneficial but probably necessary to retake the GMAT and score higher to be competitive at the programs you mention. The reason is that the adcoms want to see concrete evidence of ability to excel academically. The GPA is somewhat low, even though it’s from a top institution. If you don’t have a grad GPA that is fairly high or grades from other classes taken post college, I think it will be difficult to make a case with the GMAT plus the GPA.

It might be worthwhile, if you can, to wait a year and really improve the GMAT, take a class in a relevant topic and earn an A, or both, if you are set on attending a program of the caliber you mention.

Cindy Tokumitsu
Senior Editor, Accepted.com
www.Accepted.com

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Advice Needed

by asmithee123 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:29 am
Thanks for the advice!

My issue also is that I did take the GMAT last year and scored a 530 (I didn't list it in the initial post) so I would be looking at taking the GMAT a 4th time.

I am planning to take a course from MBAMath.com and submit my transcript along with my application. Do you think that would suffice?

Or would it be better to risk taking the GMAT a 4th time?