Evaluation request : GMAT 750

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Evaluation request : GMAT 750

by samsin » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:56 am
Following is my profie:

25+ years old, working in a leading IT firm in India as a Team Leader. Currenly abroad.

GMAT: 750(Q49,V42)/5.5 (Second attempt) (First attempt 1 year back: 690)

Undergraduate degree:
Computer Science and Engineering (from an average institute)
Aggregate of 4 years: 66 % (Distinction awarded for 3 out of 4 years; in the top 5% of the class)

Work experience:
Will have a total of 5 years at enrollment.
I started as a software Engineer; when my responsibility increased towards managing a sub-team within project, I was promoted to Module leader. Have been performing the additional responsibility of a mentor to new recruits for 1 year now. Will have a total of around 2 years of leadership experience by the time I enroll in Fall'09.

Extracurricular activities:

Have run several 10 Km runs for raising money for underprivileged.
Have been an active member of organization wide photography club and running club.
Have very active interest in photography.

Community service:

Have taken few community initiatives at the place where I grew up, the place is home to a lot of tribal people who have very less access to any medical or educational facility.

Target Career:

Strategy/Management Consulting.

Goal:
Consultant at a leading consulting company. Hopefully Top 10.

My choice of Universities:

Fuqua, Darden, Kenan-Flagler, Emory, Olin.

Admission consultants:

Can you please comment on my choice of universities based on my profile and my goals? My chances?
Should I add more universities in the safety net?
Any other Top 20 univs in which I have good chances?

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:148 members

by Lisa Anderson » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:51 pm
Dear samsin,

I think your school choices are appropriate and great programs. If you wanted to add a safety to the mix, then I think you could but I'm not convinced you need to beyond an insurance policy. The key for you is to distinguish yourself from the other applicants that will look like you on the surface: India, IT, 730+ GMAT. You have to find a way to stand out in a positive way and present a compelling case to offer you the seat over the competition.

Best of luck,
Lisa
Lisa Anderson
Consultant
Stacy Blackman Consulting

Learn more about me

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by samsin » Wed Oct 08, 2008 2:28 am
Thanks for the quick reply Lisa. Well, I am kind of hoping that the amount of leadership work ex I have will distinguish me from other applicants with IT background. Here I am assuming that the majority of IT applicants would have lesser experience.
Based on the data I have given, which universities (out of the 5 I mentioned) do you think I will have "more than average" chances of getting in? As it is with anybody else, my intention is to get into the best university my profile can get me into.