Profile assessment

Free advice from the world's top MBA consultants
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile assessment

by MikeA » Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:05 am
Hi I am a lebanese male 25 years old. I am an electrical design engineer in lebanon but working on projects in the arab world (i work from lebanon). I have over 2 years of experience. I had my undergrad from university with a gpa of 3.59 over 4. I scored 690 on the GMAT (V 36 Q 48 IR 8 AWA 5). I am applying for HEC Paris MBA and Oxford MBA for September 2017 intake. What are my chances to be admitted at one of these programs? I want to change my career and work in consultancy or in financial services.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:4 members

by 99Colleges: MBA Admission » Mon Sep 26, 2016 11:04 pm
Hi MikeA,

As far as your academic stats (GMAT and GPA) are concerned, you're round about there for these schools. However, what matters more is your career progression/ professional experience, whose details aren't here.

I would like to point out few things, though:

1. Your work ex. (2 years) is on the lower side, which in itself isn't the problem. What matters is the quality of that experience, your contribution?

2. Oxford sends a much higher proportion (almost twice) of its class to financial services than does HEC, and Oxford is stronger in consulting too. Also, more top names recruit at Oxford. Last, HEC has, overall, bit older class (around 30 years). That way, HEC may not be the best bet, and you may think about expanding your list.
Anil, MBA (Wharton)| MBA Admissions Consultant
--------------------------------------
Consulting| Contact at [email protected] for your queries on MBA Admissions
--------------------------------------
And if you couldn't make it earlier, get a free ding analysis

GMAT/MBA Expert

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:11 members

by Donna@Stratus » Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:42 pm
MikeA wrote:Hi I am a lebanese male 25 years old. I am an electrical design engineer in lebanon but working on projects in the arab world (i work from lebanon). I have over 2 years of experience. I had my undergrad from university with a gpa of 3.59 over 4. I scored 690 on the GMAT (V 36 Q 48 IR 8 AWA 5). I am applying for HEC Paris MBA and Oxford MBA for September 2017 intake. What are my chances to be admitted at one of these programs? I want to change my career and work in consultancy or in financial services.
Hi #MikeA- I agree with the previous consultant that you need to work on explaining what your impact has been at work and why this MBA and transition to consulting or financial services makes sense. Your stats are in line with the schools you mention but your years of work experience on the lighter side. You may benefit from widening your list and also considering if you want to continue to expand your work accomplishments before seeking an MBA. If you'd like some more specific advice on how we can help you present most favorably in the admissions process-please reach out to do a free consult here: https://stratusprep.com/free-consult/
Best wishes to you!