GMAT completed 590 (Q51, V19) / AWA-6

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

GMAT completed 590 (Q51, V19) / AWA-6

by vchirrav » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:36 pm
Guys,

I srewed up by verbal section of my GMAT. Can anyone advise me on how to go about reading verbal?

My scores are:

AWA - 6
Q - 51
V - 19
Total - 590

Extremely disappointed. Please help for my retake of the exam.

Thanks!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by amitdgr » Wed Aug 27, 2008 11:56 pm
Please let us know more details about your practice test scores. That would help the experts here to help you out better.

Also outline the study strategy you used. Your AWA score clearly shows that you are having a good grasp of English. Maybe more details would let the folks here to help you analyze your problem areas.

and Dude 51 in quants is amazing....
Please visit my blog Gmat Tips and Strategies

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by emrahercan » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:16 am
100 % on both AWA and Quant!! Congrats man. Ace the Verbal and get a 800! Make us all proud.

Did you use any template for the AWA section ?
GMAT DELIGHT

Legendary Member
Followed by:14 members

by aim-wsc » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:52 am
yes, tell us more about you...
emrahercan wrote:100 % on both AWA and Quant!! Congrats man. Ace the Verbal and get a 800! Make us all proud.

Did you use any template for the AWA section ?
exactly 8)

by aimhigh715 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:00 am
Very impressive, a bit higher on Verb and you`ll be at 700!+
Work Hard, Play Harder!

My AWA & Quant strategy

by vchirrav » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:36 am
Guys,

Though I don’t deserve to suggest anybody regarding verbal, I hope the below information could help people who are weak in Quant and AWA.

Quant: Regarding this, I would say, just concentrate on Data sufficiency at your best. Forget GMAT standards; focus more on CAT data sufficiency. The stronger you are in DS; the better is your Quant score in GMAT.

AWA - A standard template that I can provide is probably there on Princeton Review market material. This book is the only one that I followed and was able to score: 6 in AWA. You may not believe this that I never wrote a single essay after my school life (10th). The standards mentioned in Princeton Review, are the best ones according to me.

For both Analysis of Issue and Argument, there are standard templates given in that. If you cant find that, let me know, I will provide a template to you separately.

Verbal - When it comes to this, I strongly need your advise on how to go about this. The main reason for low score was that I was unable to sit for long hours. By the time, verbal section came, I was already exhausted.

I prepared entire OG10, 11, Manhattan, GmatPrep, and all. But still screwed up my exam.

Any advice regarding my verbal would help me....

Thanks.

Legendary Member

by pepeprepa » Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:58 am
First, did you practise full test during your preparation? I mean AWA+Q+V.

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by aj5105 » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:05 am
awesome Q ,AWA score !

Verbal strategy

by vchirrav » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:25 am
Yes I did my friend. But always scored 610, 600, 620.....and always Q51, V20.

My problem in verbal is that: I am unable to crack CR and RC. I am confortable with SC. Whenever a question comes on RC or CR, I am not able to understand the authors point and straight away give my answer, which obviously is wrong always.

Which book can clearly make me confortable on CR and RC ?

nadontheway

by nadontheway » Wed Sep 03, 2008 6:03 am
Congrats! can't get the templates. Can you plz send them to me at [email protected]

thx.

Issue

by vchirrav » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:09 am
Yes I will send an email tomorrow.

Meanwhile, can anyone help me regarding how to go about reading verbal?

My problem is that I am unable to understand any sentence that I read. I constantly took around 15 exams till now in verbal and all scores are around: 19, 20, 21. What should I do to improve this to atleast 32 or 33?

Any advice is appreciated.

by sp19 » Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:08 pm
I feel exactly the same. I have taken god knows n number of CAT exams and scored always around 600-630 but in the actual I scored 530 because my verbal was screwed.

I am not able to find what was the exact reason and how can I get what I always got in CAT practice tests for verbal part.

I scored consistently 40-43 in Quant and I got exactly 43 in the real exam however, in verbal I used to get 27-32 at home with MGMAT CAT test scores towards 30s mostly and GMATPrep towards 27-29 range. Inspite of this, I scored 19 in verbal in the real test. I am not able to understand why I could not get what I used to score in practice tests.

I also want to tell that my most of the practice tests were in two seatings. Quant and later Verbal. I used to skip AWA in the mock tests. Does this really affect in estimating the real score ?

My Quant was exactly the same I got at home even with this strategy but not for verbal. Please advise

nadontheway

by nadontheway » Fri Sep 05, 2008 12:22 am
I am in the same boat than you.To me, MGMAT SC and CR Powerscope helped me a lot.

Good luck to you all.

Best,

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Chinnamalairaja » Fri Sep 05, 2008 3:29 am
Congrats Man...Thats a great score in Quans and AWA...

I cant get the templates...Could u Please Send it to [email protected]

by myt » Fri Sep 05, 2008 4:06 am
vchirrav wrote:Guys,

Verbal - When it comes to this, I strongly need your advise on how to go about this. The main reason for low score was that I was unable to sit for long hours. By the time, verbal section came, I was already exhausted.

I prepared entire OG10, 11, Manhattan, GmatPrep, and all. But still screwed up my exam.

Any advice regarding my verbal would help me....

Thanks.
Dude .. I am no Verbal guru. I am myself struggling. But i followed the following and I have improved.

I hope this helps you.

First brush up the Grammar basics. Just the basics would do for start.

Read articles on McKinsey Quarterly website (free), Online Wall street Journal (free), sciam.com(free), nature.com(free) and economist.com (free). You would improve your knowledge and this will help you in your RC as well. After reading a paragraph close your eyes and say the main point of the paragraph to yourself in your own words (trust me, this helps)

Did you try Powerscore GMAT Critical Reasoning Bible ? And ARCO's GMAT LSAT RC book ?

Try the retired GMAT paper tests for more official questions.

Finally , there is no alternative to practice. I recommend you to practice full length tests (AWA + Q + V). Get used to sit for 4 hours.

Hope this helps.