From 620 to 700...NEVER GIVE UP!

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
GMAT Score:700

From 620 to 700...NEVER GIVE UP!

by ozzy10fl » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:29 pm
I just took the GMAT exam this afternoon. I was thrilled to see my score of 700 (47 Q 40 V). This is after scoring a mediocre 620 (40 Q 35 V) just a month ago on my first attempt. Here's an overview of my strategy for anyone interested.

Before the 1st attempt, I probably studied well over 300 hours. The books I used were

-OG 11th Edition (bible/koran/torah)

-OG Quant Review

-OG Verbal Review

-Kaplan 800

-GMAT Prep Software

I did all the problems, (most of Kaplan) and thought that I would trounce the GMAT the first time around. I reviewed each problem I missed atleast once. So I was shocked when I got the first score of 620. I thought all the hardwork that I put in was useless. I was contemplating quiting and not taking it again. Thankfully I came to my senses. Here is what I did differently:

-Scheduled an afternoon exam as opposed to a morning exam

-Thoroughly reviewed my fundamentals and studied strategy and concepts. Simply doing practice problems all day won't help past a certain point.

-Analyzed OG questions I had already done: I probably reviewed the last 50 - 75 questions of each section (even the ones I did right) 3 to 4x. This will engrain the concepts in your mind.

-Bought Manhattan GMAT Sentence Correction Guide. This book strengthened my weakest area in verbal, and led to my score jump from 35 to 40.

-Took a 2 hour Manhattan GMAT Data Sufficiency seminar. This dramatically improved my math score because I had a strategy to tackle each DS question. This seminar reviewed some very difficult questions, and taught me not only HOW to the answer the questions, but HOW TO THINK during these questions.

-Stopped stressing. This is probably the biggest reason for the size of my score increase. I kept telling myself that I can take this test as many times as I want, and that if I screw up the 2nd time, I'll just take it again. Adopting this "nothing to lose" attitude will keep you from getting too anxious. Just remember this is just a stupid test!

-Did 2 more GMAT prep tests. This kept me in GMAT mode.

Here's an overview of my prep test scores:

Kaplan Test 1 - First GMAT test I ever took without studying - 300 LOL

Kaplan Test 2 - 500 (Hadn't bought OG yet)

Kaplan Test 3 - 620

Kaplan Test 4 - 590

I knew how hard these tests were so I didn't let the scores get me down.

GMAT Prep 1: 760

GMAT Prep 2: 700

1st GMAT (Actual Test): 620 (40 Q 35V)

GMAT Prep 1: 710

GMAT Prep 2: 770

2nd GMAT: 700 (47 Q 35 V)

Practice, Hard work, and staying calm are the keys to success.

Best of luck to everyone yet to take this AWFUL exam.

by fourier » Thu Aug 28, 2008 4:29 pm
Congrats. I can relate to your situation. On my first attempt I scored the same as you did on your first try (40/35). You have given me an extra bit of hope for my next attempt!

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts
Followed by:1 members

by khurram » Thu Aug 28, 2008 5:13 pm
Good Job.

I also scored 620 two months ago and now re taking the test on saturday. I hope I too can accomplish what you just did.

Khurram

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by aj5105 » Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:57 pm
congrats !

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Congrats!

by badrimallik » Fri Aug 29, 2008 5:55 pm
Congrats! You seem to have achieved your target. I wanted to find out the duration of your prep and amount of time you spent each day.

Thxs!

by ozzy10fl » Sat Aug 30, 2008 12:51 pm
I studied about 10 - 15 hours per week for about 4 months. Make sure you go through the OG several times. I did a total of 8 practice exams. I made sure I understood all the problems I missed. I wished I did the Manhattan GMAT exams, bc I may have scored even higher had I done them.

All the Best

by zetaexmachina » Sat Aug 30, 2008 1:46 pm
reminds me of my 430 -> 720 experience lol

Congrats

by adhyetha » Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:02 pm
Dude, congrats man. I had taken the exam a couple of weeks back and managed only 650 (51Q, 27V). It was a shock because I had consistently scored 700+ in almost all the practice tests best being 740. Am planning to retake sometime in november. Any suggestions?

by ozzy10fl » Sun Aug 31, 2008 8:04 pm
That is an absolutely incredible quantitative score. If I were you I would devote all my energies to verbal. Make sure you get Manhattan SC Guide if you haven't already. Go through it a few times. NOTECARDS HELP. Also, DO NOT wear yourself out with endless studying and practice. Make sure you have fun on the weekends and socialize when you can. Your brain needs a break every once in while. Giving your brain rest will pay off dividends on test day.

RC was my strongest section on verbal. My strategy was not to take notes and skim the passage, but to read the passage, line by line, pro-actively, not passively. While reading, ask yourself, Why is the author writing (what's his purpose)? What is his tone? (Explanatory or Argumentative). How has he structured the passage? (Once you've fully read, this won't be a problem). Keep practicing verbal through OG Verbal Guide (If you don't have it already), and also consider buying the GMAT Paper Tests from the website. The paper tests are ridiculously easy for math but they're great for Verbal practice which is what you need.

If you raise your verbal score just 4 or 5 points, I think you will get well over 700. Do some difficult math questions every now and then to keep you're quant score sky high.

Best of luck