450 (Q29, V23)....so depressed :-(

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

450 (Q29, V23)....so depressed :-(

by mlane25269 » Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:58 pm
Hi everyone!

So I took the GMAT earlier today and scored a miserable 450. I don't think nerves had very much to do with it despite the fact that this was my first time taking the exam. I have also been scoring between 550 and 600 on all my practice tests.

What really annoyed me was how the quant seemed to be much more challenging than those practice questions in the official guide or GMATprep.

I was also shocked to find out that my verbal score was much lower than my quant score even though my verbal score has always been consistently higher than my quant score on all my practice tests. DS, SC, and CR were all a breeze for me. PS was ok but I think where I failed miserably was on the RC passages. I know they are the most time consuming but I felt compelled just to skim through the passage to save time rather than read word for word which I know is not always the best option for the sake of time.

So I guess the question now is what do I do next? Do I spend $1500 or $2000 to hire a tutor from Kaplan or Princeton? I only need a 500 to get into the college of my choice so it seems kind of ridiculous to hire a tutor just to raise my score by 50 points.
Last edited by mlane25269 on Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

by medea66 » Sun Aug 31, 2008 7:48 am
No worries, your not the only one to score in that range. What were your scores on the practice exams? I would say there's no need for a tutor, if its just 50pts, you can work hard and get that. Many people who score really well have done so by taking the exam more than once, just focus and do it again.