I beat the GMAT 700 (Q 50, V 35)

Find out how Beat The GMAT members tackled GMAT test prep with positive results. Get tips on GMAT test prep materials, online courses, study tips, and more.
This topic has expert replies
Master | Next Rank: 500 Posts

I beat the GMAT 700 (Q 50, V 35)

by erjamit » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:05 am
Hi All,

My G-Day was on 08/20 and I scored 700 (Q 50, V35). I owe my success in GMAT to BTG, the instructors and online members. My post might not be a detailed one but I think there are many post's which can be used as a reference for making a study plan.

I started my preparation around September'2007. Initial phase was getting used to GMAT format, understanding the various parts of GMAT, materials needed, collecting the materials etc...
I studied without any GMAT Date for 1 month and was doing so without any aim. I had to travel to US and Israel for some-time so had to postpone my GMAT plans.

In Apr'08 I finally decided to get serious and took 08/20 as the G-Day. I wanted to have sufficient time to prepare.

I used BTG extensively and my prep plan was similar to Eric's.

I will summarize few things to take care for GMAT:-

1. I won't recommend taking GMATPrep 1 before you start your prep. Use the OG11's diagnostic test to get a feel what GMAT is all about.

2. Give yourself 2 months to prepare each and every topic for GMAT and then take GMATPrep1. This way you will get to know your major areas of weakness.

3. Now concentrate for 1-2 weeks on your areas of weakness.

4. Old GMAT paper tests are truly amazing. I will highly recommend trying a few atleast.

5. GMAT is all about patience, practice, confidence, nerves, time-management, stamina and ability to control emotions. (when you know you are doing right and then it's very important not to be over-confident...or when you are not able to handle questions and now it's very important that you don't lose yourself)

6. Pls keep a note of what silly mistakes you are making and ensure they are not repeated. e.g. my common mistakes would be mis-reading the question, calculation mistakes (81 - 80 = 0, 4*8 = 12...I hope you get it), etc.

7. 1.5-2 months before your G-Day try 1 timed test every weekend. Many are freely available on net. This is to see how you are progressing and how to build stamina for the G-Day. Believe me this is really important, you shouldn't go for G-Day without practice.

8.I refered to this post by mgross for timing. For me timing was always an issue and this approach worked wonders for me.
https://www.beatthegmat.com/i-just-finis ... 15461.html

9. Take GMATPrep2 the weekend before the G-Day. You will get a rough idea how you are performing.

PowerPrep2 Score - 690.

I tried maintaing error-logs but found I couldn't go through them at the end. So it's personal wish to make it or leave it.
But be sure of what mistakes you are making and never to repeat them again.

G-Day experience
Quant was easy and I was really careful not to committ any silly mistakes. I scored 50 in quant which was very good. After quant section was over, I was very concious that now my GMAT score depends on Verbal and I have to be extra cautious. But unfortunately, verbal didn't turned out to be good experience. RC was pretty ok and I am sure of 90% accuracy. CR was also fine. RC and CR were usual questions as per OG's pattern.

The biggest surprise was SC. I had gone through MGMAT SC and OG10 for SC. To my shock I wasn't able to apply any technique be it Subject-Verb agreement, Pronouns, Idioms, Parallelism etc. to almost 12-13 questions. It seemed weired and looked as if the SC is not as per the pattern. I am not at all sure what type of SC question's were being asked. SC led to my downfall, it was my one of the strengths in OG and practice tests. I don't know why the questions were not as per the pattern and it was pretty much frustrating to see many SC questions for which my mind was blank. I didn't knew what to do.

Verbal 35 brought my score down to 700.

I knew I could have scored more and 700 is below my expectation but I am satisfied with my effort and preparation. It's been a long and tiring journey but the next journey has just started and it is going to be even tougher.

I have to thank Stacey, Ron, Eric, aim-wsc, Ian, mgross, Leonard and many others whom I haven;t mentioned but all were critical to my success. I found a good friend i.dreem through BTG and I wish him success for his G-Day.

Thanks
Amit

GMAT/MBA Expert

GMAT Instructor
Followed by:355 members
GMAT Score:780

by Ian Stewart » Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:50 am
Great score, Amit- congratulations!

by erjamit » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:10 am
Thanks Ian for all the support and guidance. It's nice to have such great people around you. :)

Amit

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

Re: I beat the GMAT 700 (Q 50, V 35)

by GoMBA » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:10 am
Hi Amit
Congratulations on a good score.

I wanted to know about the strange SC questions that you got in your GMAT test. Can you please share with us what were these questions like?

Perhaps an heads-up about something new can help us future test givers. Also in case you have any suggestions on the same will be good to hear.

Thanks.

by erjamit » Tue Aug 26, 2008 7:46 pm
Hi GoMBA,

It's difficult for me to classify the strange SC questions and as per GMAC policy it's illegal to disclose the GMAT questions.

However, I would share my experience. I had done MGMAT SC and was pretty confident with SC with 80-90% accuracy on OG10. The GMAT SC questions were strange bcoz I couldn't apply any of the SC technique such as S-V agreement, Pronouns, Tense, etc.. that have been mentioned in MGMAT SC to 10-12 SC questions. I don't know what pattern was followed in those questions and I am really stumped bcoz low Verbal score has reduced my score drastically.

Maybe instructors from MGMAT or Kaplan can share their thoughts.

Thanks
Amit

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by i.dreem » Wed Aug 27, 2008 9:20 pm
thanx amit for the wishes. just 5 days left. i hope to make a mark :-)

Senior | Next Rank: 100 Posts

by GoMBA » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:02 pm
Thanks Amit. Yeah if the instructors or someone else can shed some light on this it will be great.

by erjamit » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:44 am
I got 5 in AWA and I am more than satisfied now.
I have dropped the plan for re-taking GMAT.

4-5 months of hard-work has paid off....It's a nice feeling. :D Can't describe in words.

Legendary Member
Followed by:1 members

by gabriel » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:49 am
Good work. Congratulations.

by erjamit » Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:55 am