Profile Evaluation Request - Admittance Chances?

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts
Hi there!

I'd like to know what my chances are of getting into UCLA and USC MBA programs with the following profile:

Age/Ethnicity: 26 y/o East Asian male. Will be 27-28 when I apply and start classes.

GMAT: Haven't taken it yet but I expect a score of around 700-730. I've taken the GRE and received a 1450 combined score (out of 1600) which is roughly equivalent to 710.

GPA: 3.16/4 from UCLA. Double majored in social sciences.

Work Experience: Healthcare and Healthcare IT Project Management 4.5 years in medium sized companies (large locally but unknown nationally). Will be 5.5 by the time I plan on matriculating. Moved up from an admin assistant to project coordinator, then senior project coordinator. Looking to move into a project manager role fairly soon.

Extra Curricular: Active volunteer in different causes (Red Across, Habitat for Humanity, volunteering at local hospitals, community safety initiatives, and a couple more) since undergrad years although did not take any leadership positions.

Reason for obtaining MBA: To move up career ladder, learn enough to start my own company then donate part of the profits to charitable causes.

Please let me know what my chances are of getting into UCLA/USC and my chances at "higher" ranked schools. If I have a chance at higher ranked schools, what kind of tier schools can I reach for? Thanks!

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:4 members

by mbaMissionSusanK » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:22 am
Hi, Veritasperditor,

Thanks for your post. For UCLA and USC, your goal of 700 on the GMAT would make sense to balance your GPA - both programs have average GMAT scores in the high 600's. You will want to highlight your leadership experiences from your work experience. It seems like you should have some good examples given your progression. Also, highlight your community service to demonstrate your character and, if relevant, skills and experiences. If you do get in the 700's on your GMAT (and at least 80th Percentile on each section), and you can tell a compelling story about your future career goals, experience to date, and why MBA that differentiates you from other candidates, you could consider adding a higher ranked school or two as your reach list.

Good luck,

Susan
Susan Kaplan
Senior Consultant
mbaMission
646-485-8844

Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: www.mbamission.com/consult.php