Navigating a Sub-Optimal GMAT Score (Advice Please)

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Followed by:1 members
I have a question about how to navigate a weak GMAT score in my upcoming MBA applications. My target schools are the following: Harvard (1st choice by a lot), Wharton, Columbia, Tuck, Cornell, NYU. I recently took the GMAT and scored a dismal 630. This was even more disappointing as I had been consistently scoring in the 700+ range in the weeks leading up to the exam. Now I find myself in a situation where I will likely have to retake the exam, which includes the new Integrated Reasoning section.

However, I was wondering if, in your opinion, it is possible to convince an admissions committee that I can handle the quantitative rigors of an MBA program and that I am strong in other areas of my profile, despite a low GMAT score. For example, I currently work for a large asset management company in their hedge funds group. In the past two years, I have been promoted twice and been given an increasing amount of responsibility, including lead analyst coverage of one of our largest ($350 million) portfolios. The work involved at this position is highly quantitative. In addition, on my undergrad transcript, the adcom will be able to see that I received As in Calculus, Statistics, and Econometrics.

With regards to other work experience, I spent two years at a premier hedge fund consulting firm, which gave me great exposure to the hedge fund industry and again, involved a great deal of quantitative work.

Moreover, I believe I have an interesting set of extracurricular activities that could be addressed in my application. For example, in 2008, there were more than 10,000 singers across the United States who auditioned to be on a televised show, which was essentially the Indian version of American Idol. The show was broadcast across the US, UK, Canada and India. I was fortunate to be among the 20 selected for participation in the show and eventually placed 5th. After the show, I have gone around the country giving shows and concerts with my band. I am trained in Indian classical music and have been singing since age 9.

Another aspect which I may want to address is my involvement with a charitable organization, which feeds 3000 hungry kids each day in New Delhi. I have taken an active, lead role in the charity, building a website and organizing various fundraising initiatives. This work also included using my success in the "Indian Idol" TV show to hold benefit concerts across the country in support of the food bank.

With regards to leadership, I have been involved with my local Democratic Party since a very young age. I was given their first ever Youth Leadership Award.

Last but not least, I could potentially receive support from senior members of HBS' alumni association along with a current professor at HBS. With regards to Wharton, my current boss is an alumni who will be willing to write a letter of support for me. Three of the last four people from my group to go to business school went to Wharton (the fourth went to Columbia).

I apologize for the length of the message, but I really would love to get your perspective on my profile as a whole and how (if at all) you think my GMAT score could be navigated. I would greatly appreciate your help when you have some time.

Profile Information:
- Male
- Age 25 at matriculation
- Indian American (born and raised in the US)
- Undergrad GPA: 3.5/4.0 from Public University in NYC (Major in Finance / Minor in Economics)

Thank you very much for your anticipated assistance. I look forward to hearing from you.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:4 members

by mbaMissionSusanK » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:48 am
Hi, Vbhalla1187,

Thanks for your post. The average GMAT score for the programs you are targeting are in the low 700's. Typically you want to aim for at least a 700 on the GMAT with 80th percentile on each section. Again, these are based on averages, so people with lower GMAT scores do get in. You did not mention if you have taken the GMAT more than once. If not, the admissions committee may wonder why you didn't try to improve this score to make yourself more competitive. Your GPA is right around their average which is good, but does not balance out your GMAT. You can certainly point to your work experience; however, keep in mind that you are just under the years of average work experience for these programs as well. If you improve your GMAT score, you can avoid the admissions committee having any questions about your ability to handle the academic rigors of the program. If you do not retake the GMAT, then you will need to work hard to provide enough data points to address any concerns they may have.

Good luck,
Susan

Susan Kaplan
Senior Consultant
mbaMission
646-485-8844

Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: www.mbamission.com/consult.php