Masters Programs for Freshers

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Masters Programs for Freshers

by GMAT.720.\m/ » Mon May 07, 2012 9:59 am
Hi,

I wish to get some information about programs that I can apply to as a fresher.
I am aware that to do an MBA, one needs work experience of atleast 3 years, but I have heard of programs like MiM and MEM that accept applicants with 0-2 years of Work Experience. Can you list some more of such kind of programs?
Where can I find more information, related to list of schools that offer these, their rankings and so on?
What do you think about such programs?

The main reason why I want to pursue a Masters degree so early is mainly to improve Job opptortunities for myself.

My GMAT score is 720
Here in India, we dont have GPA system, but I am pretty sure that mine would lie in the "Low GPA" category.
Would it be possible to get into top schools that offer MIM/MEM/(any other programs for freshers) despite the low GPA? If yes, how so?

I am keenly waiting for your reply.
Thanks in advance.

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:4 members

by mbaMissionSusanK » Tue May 08, 2012 8:25 am
Hi, GMAT.720.\m/,

Thanks for your information. Most applicants applying to MBA programs have 4-5 years on average of work experience. Some programs do accept applicants with fewer years and others offer programs such as the HBS 2+2 program designed for those still in undergraduate. You mention that you want to improve your job opportunities, but have you thought about where you want to go in your career and why you would need an MBA or MIM to get there? You need to have a strong understanding of that so you can tell a compelling story to the admissions committee. This will also help you to narrow down which program/school is the right fit for you. To learn about the programs, you can go to their websites and attend events. There are a variety of rankings, including Business Week, US News & World Report, and Financial Times. In terms of your GPA, this could be a factor in determining your target schools as well. The schools are going to look at that along with your GMAT to decide if they feel you can handle the academics of their program. If there is a reason for the low GPA and you showed progression in your later years, this may be something you can address with the admissions committee. You may also want to build up your work experience to balance your application better.

Thanks for your post,
Susan Kaplan
Senior Consultant
mbaMission
646-485-8844

Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: www.mbamission.com/consult.php