Deleted Post

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Deleted Post

by kwilson219 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 5:54 pm
Deleted
Last edited by kwilson219 on Mon Apr 23, 2012 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:730

by mbaMissionBrianE » Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:31 am
Hello kwilson219, thanks for your question.

I do not know the GMAT standards at those programs, but if your score is higher than or close to those norms, you should be competitive. One rule of thumb is that if your GMAT score falls within the middle 80% range at a school, you have a shot. Otherwise, it could be an uphill battle.

Your GPA is on the lower side. Do you have any other analogue that is a better representation of your academic ability and potential? Programs will want to know that you can handle the material.

I think you have interesting work experience and that this will potentially be your greatest asset as an applicant. You will definitely not be anything near typical (e.g., i-banker, management consultant) for admissions committees! That said, your competitiveness will come down to the quality of your leadership experience in and out of work. Can you draw upon "moments" when you truly led: influenced individuals and organizations, drove results, took initiative?

Finally, in terms of your post-MBA goals, paint a picture that cohesively ties together your past, present, and future. Given your background, if you said that you wanted to become a hedge fund manager after school, that could come off as inauthentic given where you've worked in the past. Moreover, demonstrate to the admissions committees that your desired career path necessitates an MBA. Identify the specific gaps that stand between you and your short- and long-term goals (knowledge, skills, experiences, network, etc.) and show how business school would directly address those gaps.

Best of luck!
Brian
Brian Eng
Senior Consultant
mbaMission

646-485-8844

Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: www.mbamission.com/consult.php