Am I too old? What schools can I aim for?

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

Am I too old? What schools can I aim for?

by dianegmat » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:32 pm
Hi,

I will be 31 years old when I apply for schools and I will be 32 (actually 2 months short of 32, 31 years 10 months) at the time of matriculation.
My GMAT score - 740, Undergrad GPA from a top 10 engineering school - 2.9, Graduate GPA while working full-time - 3.85 from a local university.
Years of experience - 9

I assume I am old for any US school such as Kelley or Emory? What schools in Europe are receptive to older candidates like me? I want to go full-time since I am engineer vs part-time.

Regards,
Diane

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:730

by mbaMissionBrianE » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:33 am
Hello dianegmat, thanks for your question.

I remember you asked a similar question in the past, and I believe my answers back then still apply.

First of all, to preface, I would advise to never say never. Every school has a mean age, GMAT score, etc. for its incoming class, and still there are folks significantly older and younger with significantly lower GMATs and GPAs than the respective means who get in. You never know.

As I said before, Wharton and Booth tend to be the US schools that are more accepting of more experienced applicants. I urge you to research which European schools are a good fit for you and are also open to older candidates. For instance, at Kelley, the mean months of work experience is 57 (median 52) - that's between 4 and 5 years of experience. The middle 80% range is 30 to 89 months, which is about 7.5 months. I'm not saying it's impossible, but you'd be the exception - not the norm - with 9 years, right?
https://www.businessweek.com/bschools/ra ... diana.html

In terms of an analogue for your undergrad GPA: sure, your 3.85 graduate GPA is something you could point to as a better indicator of your academic aptitude.

Best of luck,
Brian
Brian Eng
Senior Consultant
mbaMission

646-485-8844

Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: www.mbamission.com/consult.php

by mbaMissionBrianE » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:33 am
Hello dianegmat, thanks for your question.

I remember you asked a similar question in the past, and I believe my answers back then still apply.

First of all, to preface, I would advise to never say never. Every school has a mean age, GMAT score, etc. for its incoming class, and still there are folks significantly older and younger with significantly lower GMATs and GPAs than the respective means who get in. You never know.

As I said before, Wharton and Booth tend to be the US schools that are more accepting of more experienced applicants. I urge you to research which European schools are a good fit for you and are also open to older candidates. For instance, at Kelley, the mean months of work experience is 57 (median 52) - that's between 4 and 5 years of experience. The middle 80% range is 30 to 89 months, which is about 7.5 months. I'm not saying it's impossible, but you'd be the exception - not the norm - with 9 years, right?
https://www.businessweek.com/bschools/ra ... diana.html

In terms of an analogue for your undergrad GPA: sure, your 3.85 graduate GPA is something you could point to as a better indicator of your academic aptitude.

Best of luck,
Brian
Brian Eng
Senior Consultant
mbaMission

646-485-8844

by dianegmat » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:34 pm
Thanks for your response. Can you please let me know what schools in Europe are good given my scores, age and experience?
I have heard of HEC-Paris and INSEAD. Apart from these two schools, what other schools are receptive to older candidates in Europe. Are Cambridge-Judge and Oxford good for more experienced candidates?

by dianegmat » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:54 pm
Hi Brian,

I am also considering the Part-time Haas MBA. Can you please let me know if my scores + experience + GPA will be competitive in the Part-time MBA program at Haas.

Thanks.

Diane

by mbaMissionBrianE » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:37 am
Hello Diane, thanks for your follow up.

My rule of thumb is that if your GMAT score falls within the middle 80% range at a school, you have a shot. Otherwise, it could be an uphill battle. If your GMAT falls in the middle of 80% of the Haas mean, you have a shot. The closer your score to the mean/media, the better shot you will have.

Best of luck!
Brian
Brian Eng
Senior Consultant
mbaMission

646-485-8844