Profile Evaluation

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation

by ankitagrawal079 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:40 am
Hi everyone,

I'll graduate with a commerce degree from one of the best colleges of India(Top 10). GMAT is 700(50q,34v). Marks scored-60%...I dont know the conversion to GPA system.

Here are my extra co-curriculars:

1. Co-Founded the Parliamentary Debating Society at college
2. Co-Started the departmental fest
3. Co-Started the departmental magazine...have interviewed a minister of state(for the magazine)...currently Managing editor and team leader(of 8 people)
4. Active member of the wildlife society and the entrepreneurship cell of college
5. Co-founded a social networking website which recorded 1.5 million clicks in 8 months(current valuation is fair for a start up)
6. cleared the IPCC exam (the intermediate level exams of the chartered accountancy course)...it has a pass percentage of around 20%....my marks may be in the 90-95 percentile bracket...
7. Work at NGO - 2 years(but very insignificant)

I wish to apply to HBS 2+2...What are my chances?? and what should i do to make them good?? I am low on GMAT and GPA as well...

GMAT/MBA Expert

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:4 members

by mbaMissionSusanK » Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:02 am
Hi,

You have a lot of interesting undergraduate experiences. You will want to be sure to use examples that demonstrate your leadership and analytical skills. It is important for 2+2 candidates to show maturity so make sure that comes across too. You will also want to communicate a clear career path, remember part of the program is working for 2 years before getting your MBA. From an academic standpoint, you mention that your GPA is low. The Admissions Committee will want to see indications that you can handle the academic rigors of the program. Is there anything to explain why your GPA was low? You may want to improve your GMAT score to offset a lower GPA. Also, you should check any thresholds for Verbal scores to make sure you meet those requirements. One last point, you don't mention when you will graduate, but make sure you meet the qualifications of the program.

Susan Kaplan
Senior Consultant
mbaMission
646-485-8844

Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by ankitagrawal079 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:31 am
Thanks for replying. I do not have any reason for low GPA score. Probably due to over-involvement in extra co curriculars. I'll graduate this year in june.

How Should i show my maturity in my application?

And can a good TOEFL score compensate for a low GMAT verbal?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:730

by mbaMissionBrianE » Thu Feb 23, 2012 8:54 am
Hello ankitagrawal079, thanks for your follow-up.

Regarding maturity, it could be as simple as having a realistic sense of your goals, what is achievable, and what you would hope to get out of the 2+2 program.

Regarding using a strong TOEFL score to compensate for a low GMAT verbal, there are mixed opinions even among the "experts." Essentially, you'd be using an easier test to mitigate a low score on a harder test. I think it depends on what the actual GMAT and TOEFL scores are. Your GMAT verbal is about 68%, which is not too low. How good is your TOEFL? If high enough, then you might add it as another data point. Either way, 68% is not a dealbreaker, per se. I'd worry if it were lower. Other than TOEFL, are there other grades/classes or analogues that speak to your verbal ability in English?

Best of luck,
Brian
Brian Eng
Senior Consultant
mbaMission

646-485-8844

Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: www.mbamission.com/consult.php