Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts
Hi,

Below is my profile
Age - 30
Applying for Full-time MBA
GMAT - 740
GPA - 2.8 from a top engineering school in the US. Downward trend and failed classes. Took 5 years to graduate
Work Exp - 7/8 years. I am a team lead and I have good recos.
Completed a part-time Masters in engineering while working full-time. GPA - 3.7 from a local college. Took 5 years to graduate taking classes on and off
Aiming for schools -Kelley, Emory, Ross, Duke
Nationality - Female from India

Are these schools within my reach considering a bad academic record but a good gmat and good work exp? Is my age a negative factor?

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:730

by mbaMissionBrianE » Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:33 pm
Hello dianegmat, thanks for your question.

Regarding your academics, was there an extraordinary circumstance that caused your low marks? Do you have any other analogue that is a better representation of your academic ability and potential? Programs will want to know that you can handle the material. Your high GMAT serves as an indicator, but you could use another one to mitigate the 2.8.

Certain programs like Booth and Wharton seem to be more welcoming to more experienced candidates, but in general have you considered executive programs?

Best of luck,
Brian
Brian Eng
Senior Consultant
mbaMission

646-485-8844

Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Junior | Next Rank: 30 Posts

by dianegmat » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:19 pm
Thanks for your reply. Other than taking graduate classes and earning a graduate degree while working full-time and my gmat score, I do not have anything else to help show my academic capability. Can you please suggest what else I should do?
I was hoping my part-time masters GPA would help mitigate my undergraduate GPA.
I am not very keen on executive MBA programs. I would prefer a full-time MBA program at the moment.

Do you think my profile is not as good for Kelley or Emory?

Regards,
Diane