Profile Evaluation Request

Launched June 18, 2009
This topic has expert replies
Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

Profile Evaluation Request

by Global_Trek » Thu Aug 18, 2011 2:46 pm
Undergrad: Attended a small, 2nd-tier private liberal arts school. Majored in international studies and minored in English. Not too many extracurriculars during this time, but was a military school. Was selected as 1/10 to train incoming freshmen junior year. Probably not too relevant given age (30).
GPA: 3.48
Graduate: Current graduate student at Harvard Kennedy School of Government - 3.5 GPA
GMAT: TBD - Anticipating 720-730 (based off practice scores)
Professional Experience: U.S. army infantry officer for 5 years + 1 deployment to Iraq. Held 5 different jobs during army career. This summer (2011) worked at a large development bank in Haiti. In undergrad - worked at United Nations in Geneva, Switzerland
Extracurriculars: Board member of D.C.-based political group, leadership role in Kennedy School Group, taught English in Cambodia for 2 1/2 months last year + currently holding 2 fellowships at the Kennedy School.
Additional: During last two summers took calculus, accounting and statistics (A's in all 3) Though I took a stats course more recently in grad school and received a flat B.

First, let me thank you for taking the time give me an evaluation - it's much appreciated. Here are a list of my target schools in no particular order:

(1) MIT
(2) Wharton
(3) Chicago
(4) Harvard
(5) Dartmouth
(6) Stanford

The only other questions are, is my age an issue? I hear with military vets, it usually isn't, but I'm not too clear. I'll be 2 or 3 years older than most vets applying. Last, R1 v. R2? - I'd like to apply R1, but most likely will put off apps until R2 to ensure I'm well prepared for GMAT and app. essays are polished. Thoughts? This recommendable?

Again, thanks for your feedback - much appreciated. Know it must get monotonous doing these things over and over.
[/u]

MBA Admissions Consultant
Followed by:8 members
GMAT Score:730

by mbaMissionBrianE » Mon Oct 10, 2011 11:56 am
Hello Global_Trek, thanks for your question.

It's hard to make a specific call on your chances at programs without a GMAT score (practice tests can be misleading in either direction). But, generally speaking, I think your age is less of an issue, given you have a military background and are currently a graduate student.

My main questions would be: Why do you want/need an MBA? What would business school give you that the Kennedy School does not? If there are clear and specific gaps that stand in the way of your career ambition that business school can bridge (that Kennedy School cannot)? If you can paint that picture, then you have a compelling "story."

I also know that some schools have joint programs with the Kennedy School - have you explored those options?

Best of luck,
Brian
Brian Eng
Senior Consultant
mbaMission

646-485-8844

Blog: www.mbamission.com/blog
mbaMission Insiders Guides: www.mbamission.com/guides.php?category=insiders
Free Consultation: www.mbamission.com/consult.php

Newbie | Next Rank: 10 Posts

by Global_Trek » Tue Jan 17, 2012 9:52 am
Whoa, Brian! I'm sorry - I just saw this. I owe you a long overdue thank you. I appreciate you taking the time to reply. Long story short - Kennedy School has provided a great econ development + policy analysis foundation, but still in need of a solid general management foundation + focus in finance and entrepreneurship. Did some enterprise fund work overseas and worked a development bank last summer --both experiences reinforced the need for b-school + aligned with my goal of working for a US federal government overseas investment org, then starting business development company of my own in focusing on private sector development in conflict areas. Dropped 5 apps. Only scored a 700 on the GMAT. Taking it one more time, then throwing a hail mary for Stanford and HBS RD3. Any idea how many seats each program offers in R3? - maybe 10%. I know it varies.

Sorry for the ramble. Primarily wanted to make sure I said thanks.